mark.M
Frequent Advisor

mirror disk to another server disk

Hello~,
i has two DL360 of Windows2003.
example,
DL360 hostname is A and B server.
each server is mirror of Two Disk.
First A server is installed windows2003.
A server one Disk to install B server and
one Disk insert another server rebuild?
i want one disk to eject and another server install. possble?

3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: mirror disk to another server disk

I'm having a problem understanding your procedure. If you want to remove the disk from the installed server to "clone" into another, remember that each windows installation has a Security ID, that should not be cloned.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Sung Oh
Respected Contributor

Hi,

you have two hard disks on server A and you want to use one of the hard disk from server A to build server B right?

It is not good way to rebuild a system out of mirrored disks. you will be better off building server B using windows installation CD because, even though you have two identical systems A and B it will not gernerate same securty ID by Windows OS and all other hardware addresses.

Sound like it may work and server B will boot from one of the server A hard disk and during first boot it will try to register all hardware address to windows. But windows will not be stable for long term.

Regards,

Sung
Kyris
Frequent Advisor

I have completed last week a similar task. Set up a DL380 with Windows 2003 server; mirrored it and then took one of its disks out, put it in another DL380 ( same hardware descr ) and this gave me a new installed system. I had of course to call Microsoft for a new validation number before I can use the system. All the details for this are given to u on a pop up screen when u first reboot the 'cloned' system.

I am a bit concerned now by what Sung has said. What problems should I expect in doing this procedure of cloning a system ?

Hope this input is useful.
kyris