1748185 Members
4413 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

ml 110 g6 Raid Controller Issue with RHEL V5 and 6

Stephen Doyle
Valued Contributor

ml 110 g6 Raid Controller Issue with RHEL V5 and 6

When I boot into the linux dd and add the drive the server still does see the preconfigured array.

It only see the drives as single units whenthe raid is either on or off, when I try loading the dd files I get init device on 6 and no drives found. and in V5 I get nothing just loops back to menu asking to load drivers.

2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: ml 110 g6 Raid Controller Issue with RHEL V5 and 6

Are you sure you're using the right driver diskette? There are two driver diskettes available for ML110 G6, one for the SmartArray B110i specifically, the other for the optional hardware-based SmartArray controllers.

Also, did you notice the important extra steps in the B110i driver diskette installation instructions?

For RHEL 5:

INSTALLATION

Once the OS is installed but before clicking the reboot button do the following.Failure to do so will cause the system to panic and not boot.

press CTRL+ALT+F2
        cp -a /tmp/ramfs/DD-0 /mnt/sysimage/tmp
        chroot /mnt/sysimage
        cd /tmp/DD-0
        sh ./fix_driver_order
        cd /
        press CTRL+ALT_F6 and click reboot

Also note that the latest RHEL 5 driver diskette only supports kernels up to 2.6.18-238.el5 - i.e. RHEL 5.6. The hpahcisr binary module needs to exactly match the kernel version, and the RHEL 5.7 kernel is likely to be a few patchlevels too new.

For RHEL 6:

INSTALLATION

*** Important Note for RHEL6 ***
One boot option required is: "blacklist=ahci" 

At a minimum your install boot line should be: "linux dd blacklist=ahci"

NOTE: If you are using a USB key for the driver update, be sure to remove it once the installer has loaded the hpahcisr driver.  The install will usually ask if you want to install more drivers.  At this point remove the USB key and continue.

The blacklist option here would be the thing that allows the hpahcisr driver to override the regular ahci driver, so it would be absolutely essential.

MK
Stephen Doyle
Valued Contributor

Re: ml 110 g6 Raid Controller Issue with RHEL V5 and 6

Well I have tried V6 and I get no new driver found and still loading with 4 drives displayed on the partition infomation

I am going to try 5.6 have to download it.

will let you know

Regards

Stephen