ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753519 Members
5105 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ml 150 g3 hd mounting

Robert White_7

ml 150 g3 hd mounting

I have a failing fileserver and have recently purchased above server with no hd's as replacement. I would like to simply transfer the raid card and drives from the existing server, but can't find mounting rails. any suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

you mean you want to convert that server from tower to rack? if so

http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/SVRHP187

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
e4services
Honored Contributor

I will have to be guessing, but you are asking about "mounting rails" so I guess the drives are not internal but hotplug. so what ever the old server is they do not insert into the new server due to the drive housing/tray/"rails" difference.
How am I doing so far?

The ML150 G3 was a SATA or SAS server, so if I assume you have a SCSI RAID controller in the old server AND I assume the new server has a hot plug bay, then you can not use the backplane with the old drives, different species.

If I am assuming correctly, I would first attempt to mount your current drive bay in the new server, somehow. If that is impossible due to size, then I would mount the drives and use SCA adapters with a SCSI cable to connect the drives to the controller.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Robert White_7

yes, I have removed the hot plug module and have an ide raid card to install. i assumed there is either a separate cage you can order for std hd screws or rails that you can put on standard drives to mount them into the existing cage. i may be wrong, in which case i guess i'll have to improvise something.
e4services
Honored Contributor

I say they list in the manual a "SATA non-hot-plug hard drive cage", but from the pictures they are still using the same drive carrier/tray as on the hotplugs, so I am unsure what the difference is, but I would assume there is a backplane still in the back of the cage and there are SATA connections.
Now I see you want to mount standard IDE drives in the server and just cable them up. In looking at the hotplug drive's cages, the side rails are a 3/4" x 6" long, 1/8" thick bar. I am thinking that an old style hard drive mounting rail that was used on older cases would substitude just find to hold the drive in place in the cage, then simply reomove the backplane from the cage to connect the wires.
Hot Swap Hard Drives