Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ml330 G3 cpu failed when there is network traffic

Wagner_19
Occasional Visitor

ml330 G3 cpu failed when there is network traffic

Hi all,

I have a problem with a ML330 G3, running W2k3 Sp2 and equiped with RILO2, 3ware SATA 8506 and HP SCSI card.

Because of some equipment and our internal network I needed a expansion card that has a LAN interface, USB2.0 ports and a firewire port on it.
I found this card at exsys:
http://www.exsys.ch/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_19&products_id=49
After inserting the card, w2k3 installed the drivers and usb2.0 and firewire was working well. Also the network drivers for the realtek chipset were installed and the configuration of a static IP was possible.
But when I plugged in the Network cable into the LAN port it took between 10 to 60 seconds and the server freezes and the red warning light on the front went on. Also both CPU failure LEDs on the MB were red. After a powercycle all was ok again till the LAN interface was activated.
I tried to install different drivers, tried different PCI slots and removed the SATA card and the RILO2 board - as soon as there was a communication on the LAN interface the server freezes.
The LAN interface on the MB worked without any problems.
I tried the Exsys card in two other PCs - there the card worked without any problem.

Now I do not know if I have got a HW Problem with the ML330 MB or if it is "only" a incompatibility between the exsys card and the ML330 MB.
Or do you know any other tricks to run the card properly within the ML330?

Thanks for your answers

Regards

Thomas

3 REPLIES
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Re: ml330 G3 cpu failed when there is network traffic

Could you check what exactly stays in the integrated management log in the ilo?
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11614_div/11614_div.HTML

Of course no mention of that product on server QuickSpecs. Do not insert any 3rd party card in a Proliant and expect it to work. Also, if the card damages the motherboard it will not be covered by your warranty and you'll have to pay for a new part and a technician to replace it.
Wagner_19
Occasional Visitor

Hi to everybody,

I managed to get that configuration working :-)

The problem were that there were incompatibilities between the ServerWorks Chipset and the PCI Bridge controller of the add-on card.
A card with VIA chipset or moschip didn't work but a card with a Ti bridge worked.
I now have a Exsys EX-6509E card working in the Proliant. This card has got 2 external/1internal USB2.0 Port (NEC-Chip), 1 internal/1external Firewire (Ti) connector an a Realtek Gigabit LAN interface.

Regards

THomas