cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ml350 ide or scsi options

Guy Silliman
Occasional Contributor

ml350 ide or scsi options

I have a ML350 G1 running SBS2003. I am using an ide drive as backup storage since the machine is at a remote site and I don't have anyone to swap tapes.

The 40gig drive I started with is running thin on space so I attempted to place a 160gig drive in it. Apparently the bios does not handle anything that large. As it fails to recognize the drive at boot and causes all kinds of other issues when it is plugged in.

Any ideas on what other options I have for fixed disk backup destinations?
2 REPLIES
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: ml350 ide or scsi options

This is probebly true. The BIOS of the onboard IDE controllers was not ment for IDE hard drives but for simple CD support only, therefore is very limited in what hard drive it would support. The 40GB was the largest head/cyl combinations of the drive numbers originally.
Your only solution to stick with your system is to purchase a good PCI IDE controller that can be configured to not step into the boot strap. Inexpensive ones like the Promise IDE controllers will always take over the boot and there is no way to stop them from loading in front. We know the Adaptec one states it can be configured to not be a boot device.
With a new controller you will be able to connect you 160GB IDE
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Guy Silliman
Occasional Contributor

Re: ml350 ide or scsi options

Ok - I've been looking about and Adaptec seems to have dropped the ide line. Any other recommended card? I see several that claim to co-exist with onboard ide, but that does not mean that it will not force itself into the boot order.

Guy