ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753677 Members
5686 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ml350e gen8 server has a fast blink red health LED even after replacing the power supply

wade_burchette
Visitor

ml350e gen8 server has a fast blink red health LED even after replacing the power supply

I have a Proliant ml350e gen8 server with a fast blinking health LED. I already replaced the power supply. When I turn on the server, it shuts down automatically after about 2 to 20 seconds. The longer I leave it unplugged, the longer it stays on without shutting itself down. But without fail every time, it shuts down and then the fast blink red health LED appears. After it shuts down, I can turn it back on within a few seconds. The power light is amber when this happens. Here is what I have already tried:

• Replaced the power supply with a new one
  • Tried a different power cord
  • Tried on a different circuit
  • Tried pluged straight to the wall without a surge protector or UPS
  • Removed the CMOS battery for 5 minutes
  • Disconnected the RAID backplane and DVD drive, power and data
  • Disconnected one cooling fan, the one outside the cooling enclosure
  • Tested each RAM stick one at a time
  • Left all RAM out, the system gave a warning then shut down on its own the same way
  • Tried the system maintanence DIP switch, S6 to on

None of those fixed the problem. Now I don't know what else to try. Does anyone have more ideas that I can try? One last thing, this server has not had any firmware or BIOS updates. And yes, it is definately a fast blink.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: ml350e gen8 server has a fast blink red health LED even after replacing the power supply

Hi,

Some times it could be an issue with Processor or hot-plug power supply backplane.

Try with a different compatible processor if available.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

wade_burchette
Visitor

Thanks for the response. Because the power supply is not a hot-swap one, there is no power backplane on this server. And I don't have an extra CPU to test with. I do keep getting this message in the iLO logs:

"System Power Fault Detected. System Has Enabled Power Protection and Disabled Power Supplies (XR: 14 00 MID: DE 7D 9E FF 8A FF FF 25 25 00 00 00 9C 08 80 00 00 00 00 90 00 50 03 50 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00)"

And it is the same hex code each time.

wade_burchette
Visitor

I talked to HP support and they are sending me a new motherboard. Hopefully that will fix the problem.