5682 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ml530 g2 raid setup question

brad taylor_3

ml530 g2 raid setup question

I have a ml530 g2 server,

when i try smart start 5.5 or 7

all it seas is the card in slot 2 and the tape backup device .

i cant seem to find where i need to go or what software to run to configure the raid so i can install an OS on the system.

any help would be appreciated
8 REPLIES 8
Timur S Lukovkin
Regular Advisor

Maybe there is no array controller, are you sure you have one installed?
brad taylor_3

I think thats the problem, getting one installed, i just can't seem to get one to work. I'm probably missing something obvious.

should i be figuring out a way to connect the Harddrives to the raid controller in slot 2? or is there software that i can configure a raid on the built in .

Crewescontrol
Frequent Advisor

Hi

The ML530 G2 server ships only with an Adaptec 7899 Dual Channel Ultra3 SCSI controller onboard and therefore unless you want to do software mirroring, you will have to connect the card in slot 2 (if its a Smart Array that is) to the drive cages.

Have you looked inside and checked where the drive cages are cabled to? Also what is the card in slot 2? If memory serves me, SA 6400 arent recommended in this particluar server.

Do you see the drives in POST connected to the onboard scsi? I would say if ACU is seeing the card in slot 2 but no drives, you need to have a look at the cable, maybe suspect?

Perhaps it helps...

Adam
brad taylor_3

that is what i suspected.

I believe it's a SA5300 in slot 2,

I'll see about moving the cages to that card. Thank you
brad taylor_3

ok what now appears to be my issue is cableing, i don't have the length needed to get to the controller in slot 2. however i can get these from our other office.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/specs.aspx?EDC=150087

I've used them before (i think) as an internal extension,

would these work? if so I'll have them shipped.

Thanks again
Crewescontrol
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Without actually physically checking to make sure, im pretty sure you would need a male to male 68 pin cable, the 166298-024 (google for pic) or similar spec i believe.

You should check the connector on the card cage and the connector on the Smart Array, but i suspect they are both probably female connectors. The cable in your attached seems to be a male to female 3ft 68 pin cable.

The Server could have had a longer cable shipped with it. Have you looked in the tape peripheral bay as they sometimes stick them in there? Can your use the one off your internal tape device if you have one? that could get you going?

hope it helps

Adam

brad taylor_3

I was going to use the female-male as an extension as it seems pretty hard to get to the drive cages, i looked for other cables but i do not see them in the server.

We've had this for a while so it may have been removed.

I couldn't see an easy way to expose the back of the drive cages so i can unplug the short cables and exchange them for longer. So this was my alternate solution without ripping the machine apart.
Crewescontrol
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thats fair enough, never done it that way so not sure how that would perform.

If you struggle, then the key to getting some extra space to pull the cable out of the drive backplane is by pulling the system tray out a little with the large latch on the back, see how to do it in the link to ml530 g2 service manual below.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_281405-004/TPM_281405-004.pdf

Cheers and good luck

Adam