1752276 Members
5328 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: move array and controller

Nathan Stipe
Occasional Advisor

move array and controller

Is it possible too take my 532 card which is connected too 4 drives in the internal 4 bay hot swap back plane in gen 1 ml350 and place it and the 4 drives in a gen 2 ml350 with the 6 bay backplane and get it working? Both single processors.

Thanks in advance.

Nate
3 REPLIES 3
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Nat,
If it's exactly a similar server then yes it's possible but otherwise it's a 50/50 chance. Here is my explanation:
First thing you would need to do is make a full backup.
Then configure SA532 only in the ML350G2 server. Once you have the array controller installed and configured then you can think of moving the HDDs over.
Now here the only issue I am concerned about is how the system is going to find out the SCSI IDs because you may receive RIS mismatch error and system may prompt you to put the HDDs to their original location. Since the array configuration is stored on the HDDs locally there should be no problems. But I am still concerned about the RIS mismatch error. I may be over protective here but you wont know the truth till you give it a shot. Once again do make a full backup and remember the sequence of the HDDs placement just in case you have to go back.

Regards,
Nathan Stipe
Occasional Advisor

I should have explained better. The 4 drives contain 1 raid 5 array and two logical drives. One logical drive contains the operating system and on contains data. When you say set up sa532 on new server, what do you mean set it up? Does this make sense?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Nat,
Yes you have to set up the hardware first which means in your case you have to configure SA532 in the server first. Once you install it then during POST you will see F9 that is where you would set the Boot Controller Order. Thereafter you attach the hard drives.

Regards,