ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753902 Members
9409 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

move array from one server to another...?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Russell Painter
Occasional Advisor

move array from one server to another...?

Hi all, I want to transfer a RAID 5 (data) array from one server to another. I basically just want to "upgrade" the File server....

Server 1 is a DL380G2, with Windows 2003/32bit and a SA6400 controller in PCI slot attached to an MSA30/4354R with a raid 5 array (data.)

Server 2 is a DL380G4 with windows 2008R2/64bit and an empty SA6400 in PCI slot (internal system drive is attached to the embedded 6i)

Can I simply power the servers and the drive cage down, swap the SCSI cable from server1 to server 2 and power everything back up? I am moving a "data only" array...
I believe it is that easy...Is this true?

thanks

Russell
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: move array from one server to another...?

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Verify the SA6400 firmware versions first, though: in the unlikely situation that the server 2 has older firmware than server 1 for some reason, it might be better to upgrade the firmware to equal or newer version first.

As the SA6400 on server 2 is currently empty, the boot controller order on server 2 may not have been an issue so far. It might be worthwhile to ensure that the embedded 6i is selected as the primary boot controller in the BIOS settings of server 2. Otherwise the system might try to boot from the data array first, causing an unnecessary delay in system boot and perhaps some sysadmin confusion.

MK
MK
Russell Painter
Occasional Advisor

Re: move array from one server to another...?

Thanks for the confirmation.

I will review the firmware on the new controller.