ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753672 Members
5608 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

moving data array on 6i controller to another server

petesdomain

moving data array on 6i controller to another server

i have 2 HP Proliant 380 DL380 G4 servers with the 6i controller. Both servers are exactly identical with each having two Arrays, both RAID 1 mirrored. Array A (disks 0 and 1) used for boot partition, c drive; and Array B (disks 2 and 3) used for data drive, d drive. Each of the 6i controllers have battery back cache. The test of moving Array B's to the opposite server fails as on boot up, the controller detects 0 drives, so not even the boot partition to start up the server. I am just trying to test moving the data arrays in case we experience a failure with a server and would like to recover the data array. Technically this should work fine according to the 6i controller user guide. I am not sure if its the battery cache is preventing to see any logical drives. If i move the disks back to their original location, all works fine. I have deleted the Array B's and recreated with the same results. The move is done when the servers are switched off and the drives are moved to the exact same locations on the server. Is it the battery cache causing the problem, something on the hardware side? Everyone i have spoken to said that this should work.
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: moving data array on 6i controller to another server

Is the duplex setting the same on both servers?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
petesdomain

Cabled for standard simplex. The move of the Array B to the BCP works out if confirming some warnings in Array manager and reactivating the logical drive. But then moving back to Prod results in loosing Array A and B on the prod server. Then if you remove drives for Array B you can at least boot up again.
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Petesdomain,

May the RIS information is causing some issue. I would suggest you to try the following and check.

1. Without the Array B Harddisks, In the Prod Server delete Array B if listed.
2. Shutdown the server, Remove the Array A Disks also.
3. Boot from SmartStart CD and run the System Erase utility under Server Maintainance. This will erase the RIS info from the 6i Controller.
4. Install Array A Disks and Array B Disks and restart the server. This should rebuild the RIS information on the 6i Controller.

Check if Server boots and Both the arrays are detected. Once it is. Than later you could move the Array B in and out whenever required.

Regards,
Raj.