7405 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: moving to new scsi controller

Sen_6
Super Advisor

moving to new scsi controller

Hi,
i need to move the current Hdd running on windows 2000 to a new scsi controller and enable hardware mirror on it.
can i know whats the fastest way to do it?
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

What HP computer do you have? What type of SCSI controller is the current hard drive connected to?
Is the new SCSI controller a RAID controller? This will be required if you are going to do a hardware mirror. What kind of SCSI card is it?
Sen_6
Super Advisor

its a Proliant ML530.

the current hard drive is connected to onboard scsi controller.

the new scsi controller is a smart array 641
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

You will not be able to move the drive to a RAID controller without wiping everything out on the hard drive. Hard drives must first be configured into a RAID array when connected to a Smart Array controller - then the OS is installed. So with hardware RAID there is no option to move a drive from a SCSI controller to a RAID controller and keep the existing OS and data.
Sen_6
Super Advisor

if i were to make an image of the existing hdd and clone it to the new controller, do you think it will work?
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

The problem is that the image of the existing drive is a drive with no RAID configuration...so no it would not work to image a drive running off a standard SCSI drive...then try to use that image on a new drive connected to a RAID controller. Same problem.
Sen_6
Super Advisor

i thought that the RAID configuration is handled by the scsi controller and so the software on the hdd need not need to install any updates?
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

In order for a hard drive to work on a RAID controller (hardware RAID), the RAID controller must format the hard drive first. This creates a specific geometry on the drive itself, which is different from a drive formatted with standard SCSI (not RAID). So do you see why you cannot move a drive off a SCSI controller to a RAID controller?

Try moving the hard drive to a RAID controller and see what happens - or do the image (safer) and see what happens. The RAID controller will not be able to understand the format on the drive.

Sen_6
Super Advisor

this is really a bad news for me.. as i need to redo the entire system.. :(