Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new logical disk become Array A

Tamas Csabina
Occasional Advisor

new logical disk become Array A

Hi,

We have an issue with a Smart Array 6i controller, hosted in a ProLiant DL380.

There is an existing RAID1 logical volume configured since years. We have added 3 new disks on the fly (hot plug) and configured a new RAID5 logical disk, using CPQONLIN (yes, Netware).

After reboot, the server hangs, as it is trying to boot from the new logical disk.

The issue is that the new logical disk became Array A, and the old one Array B. This is why the OS having problems to boot.

How could we `force` the new volume to be Array B?

Or, alternatively, is it possible to `tell` the raid card to boot from the 2nd logical disk?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

Re: new logical disk become Array A

hi,

Please update the FW of the controller and check , if you will have the same issue.

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Ali
HPE Pro

Re: new logical disk become Array A

hi there,

as per my personal experience, Smart array controllers assigns lowest LUN available while creating a new logical drive. So if you have removed the existing set of hard drives or moved your bootable logical drive from one server to another which already have a logical drive configured or rarely when adding new hard drive hotplug, your server will not boot from original set of hard drives due to logical drive numbering change.

Logical Drive Number 1 is recognized as a boot logical drive and server will try to locate operating system in it to boot the system from and there isn't any option in array configuration utility to change the boot logical drive.

following trick worked for me when I had the same issue:

• Ensure you have valid backup.
  • Power down Server and Remove all logical drive volumes from Server
  • Attach the bootable logical drive
  • Boot the Server to SmartStart CD and Change the "Rebuild Priority" setting to a different setting than the current setting from ACU.
  • Save the configuration.
  • Return to the "Settings" menu and set the "Rebuild Priority" back to the original settings.
  • Save the configuration.
  • Reboot the Server and verify that the operating system boots.
  • Power down Server and Reattach the additional logical drive volumes

let me know if this helps,

how to say thanks, Click on Star Kudos

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details