ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752766 Members
5167 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: new to server troubleshooting - help!

mozmar
Occasional Contributor

new to server troubleshooting - help!

Hi, new to server troubleshooting - i just need a few pointers, 

>Ways you can access a server (console, remotely, at site, Telent, SSH, GUI) what are the ways you can access a server?

>What is the OS of a HP DL Gen6 or 8 server? How do you access it for upgrades and things?

>How do you upgrade an OS?

>Are there boot files, OS files, config files etc? 

>What are the main monitoring systems for checking server issues?

Im from a networkoing background, not server so please forgive my ignorance!

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: new to server troubleshooting - help!

@mozmar wrote:

Hi, new to server troubleshooting - i just need a few pointers, 

>Ways you can access a server (console, remotely, at site, Telent, SSH, GUI) what are the ways you can access a server?

It depends...what is the level you're considering the remote/local access to Server? Server hardware (think about how HPE ProLiant Server can be accessed through HPE iLO)? Operating System? Applications at userland level?

>What is the OS of a HP DL Gen6 or 8 server? How do you access it for upgrades and things?

It depends. There isn't a pre-defined pre-installed OS...a list of supported (without considering all unsupported ones) OS is available on the relevant product page. OS Upgrades compete generally to who provide OS Support, often the Hardware provider provids specific device drivers and their upgrades too. So it all depends on what OS was (is) installed.

>How do you upgrade an OS?

See above.

>Are there boot files, OS files, config files etc? 

See above. Each OS is different (Linux versus Microsoft Windows, as example) so each OS has its way of dealing with booting process, configuration files, startup services...and so on.

>What are the main monitoring systems for checking server issues?

At what level? Hardware level? OS level? far too generic question...you can monitor concurrently at various levels (HPE iLO, OS, Application...).

Im from a networkoing background, not server so please forgive my ignorance!

Don't worry...no one is born knowing everything.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner