108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: new to servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
katie1
Frequent Advisor

new to servers

Hi will be looking after 1 ml350 g5 , it may be many more in a few weeks.I am new to this work.
OS is server 2003 sp2 32 bits

I would like to know do I need to setup snmp ,
to see systems management homepage, so it shows device status.locally

or am i supposed to setup snmp in ilo just to see events from sys management homepage.

not clear where i setup snmp in ilo or in sys management homepage , or if snmp is even needed to see things when logged locally,
can some one explain the difference, and why it can be setup in different places.
8 REPLIES 8
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

The HP management drivers in the OS will gather information to be distributed by the SNMP service of the OS. This information can be used by remote management solutions and/or by the SMH.

So yes, you'll need to set up SNMP in the operating system to use SMH.

iLO is a small separate microprocessor that runs completely independent from the rest of the system. It cannot be switched off: it will always be running unless power has been completely removed from the system (e.g. all power cords disconnected).

SNMP in iLO allows reporting of critical hardware/system events even if the OS is in inoperable state. It uses the separate iLO network interface, which is not accessible as a NIC in the OS.

MK
MK
katie1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Matti that was a good explanation,
katie1
Frequent Advisor

Do they both need same settings for SNMP
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

you can login to ilo remotely or stick a crossover cable in it will pick up an ip or ping its dns name to get ip, name should be on a tag or sticker, , in there there is a log IML it is good at showing hardware errors..

katie1
Frequent Advisor

That was useful information

but my question is actually

Do they both need same settings for SNMP

Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor

The configuration options are shared by the "SNMP Service" and the HP Systems Management Homepage, if you change it in one, it appears in the other.
They both use
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The SMH and iLO communicate with each other through a specific driver, so SNMP is not needed for that.

The iLO SNMP settings are completely independent from the SMH/OS SNMP settings. You _can_ set them identically if both iLO and a regular network interface are plugged into the same network and/or you wish to use the same external monitoring solution to monitor both the OS and the critical hardware events from iLO, but you don't have to. The OS SNMP service will also report critical hardware events... assuming that the OS is not prevented to do that by the nature of the event (e.g. "Critical overtemperature limit exceeded and a controlled overtemp shutdown has failed, the system will switch itself off NOW").

Because the iLO can also be used for remote access (at the hardware level, so you can e.g. change BIOS settings or re-install the OS remotely), in security-sensitive installations the iLO is often plugged into a separate network segment, which is made accessible by sysadmins only. In this case, the SNMP monitoring solution for the iLO network segment may need different parameters from the OS/SMH side, so it's useful to have separate settings for iLO.

MK
MK
katie1
Frequent Advisor

makes it clear thanks MK