1752728 Members
5851 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: no logical drives

Mark r Rivet
Advisor

no logical drives

I just bought an HP Proliant dl360 server, and had to buy a hard drive for it. When the server boots up, it does not find any logical drives. Do I need to format this SCSI drive first? Its been awhile since I have played around with SCSI or a server for that matter.
19 REPLIES 19
Lesley Persyn
Frequent Advisor

Use the smartstart cd to configure/install a OS.

Gr,
Lesley.
Mark r Rivet
Advisor

Ok, I'll try that, but I don't have a cd; can I get it here on the HP site?
Lesley Persyn
Frequent Advisor

go to www.hp.com/support
enter your server model, download, select OS, and search for smartstart cd.
Download iso and burn...

good luck.
mstoumba1
Advisor

Should beable to do it from the F8 prompt at POST
Mark r Rivet
Advisor

Ok, I am downloading a smartstart cd for the second time. The first time the data was corrupted and it would not unzip. Anyway I am downloading the smartstart for the RedHat linux ver 4, 64 bit server; but I plan on using Ubuntu server 64; hope thats ok, they did dont list Ubuntu linux on the site. Anyway I will keep you posted. I'm sure this is going to be interesting. The only other thing I'm wondering about is the harddrive. I bought a 146 gig Ultra 320 which I believe is correct. They did mention that it only supports particular drives.
Mark r Rivet
Advisor

I have downloaded smartstart and still there are no drives found. I know I must be doing something wrong; but what? Normally when the bios doesn't see the drives the drive has not been formatted. I thought that is what the smartstart would do. This is a whole new arena (servers) for me.
Lesley Persyn
Frequent Advisor

What are the light saying on you hdd's.
(info: For proper use, you should use minimal 2 hard drives)
Mark r Rivet
Advisor

Yes, at first I get a green light on both drives, then they go to the other orange lights.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You don't need Smart Start to configure the server. You say you just bought the server, it should have come with CD's unless you bought it used. Anyway, you don't need the CD's.

When the server is going through POST you should see an option when the Smart Array controller identifies to press F8.

Press F8 and create an array. With only two drive you options will be to create a RAID 0, or a RAID 0+1.

After you create the array boot your OS CD and do the install.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!