1748158 Members
3932 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: no logical drives

Mark r Rivet
Advisor

Yes, that is correct; it's used. All I recieved was the server no drives. But I purchased two drives separately. Ok, I will try your suggestion tonight. My time zone is eastern standard time. Manchester NH, USA. But I will let you know what happens. I would really love to get this thing running. I'm going to use Ubuntu Linux if I get the chance. Oh, is there a log file created at boot time that I can look at? maybe that would also help you to help me.
Mark r Rivet
Advisor

Ok, when the array controller comes up I hit the F8 key which brings me to a screen that will allow me create a logical drive. But when I try that it says there are no physical drives attached to the system. These are refurbished drives I have, do I need to format them with some other utility first?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

No you do not need to do anything to the drives before creating an array. The Smart Array controller should see the drives then allow you to create an array. Either the drives, the drive backplane, or the cabling from the backplane to the system board are bad.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Mark r Rivet
Advisor

Darn, that's what I not hoping for. I guess I will have to dig into the server.
Lesley Persyn
Frequent Advisor

remove and refit all cards/cables. Maybe a bad contact...
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

You don't tell wich generation it is.

But if any DL360 newer than G1, then check if the drive backplane is properly seated.

Simply:
remove power cord(s).
remove lit.
locate the drive backplane.
Push down on the backplane.
Re-power the server and check.

The G1 got a metal bracket, holding the HDD backplane in place.
The bracket has been removed on newer models. So backplane might move, during transport etc. caursing loss of connection to the drives.

/jag

Accept or Kudo

Mark r Rivet
Advisor

Oh, sorry its a prolian dl360 g4. But I will check the backplanes tonight. That sounds like a good possibility. After all they were shipped to me, and God knows how they were handled. I am so itching to get this sever running so I can play. Thanks everyone. I'll keep you all posted.
Mark r Rivet
Advisor

Ok, it's like you said...bad connections. I opened up the server and reseated the connector that involves the hard drives and interface card and voila! I have harddrives. I was able to install Ubuntu server no problems. Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with my new server. I would like to provide some internet sevice of some kind just to get going; even if it's for free, to get going. Any Ideas? or should I now switch to some other forum for this kind of discussion?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Glad to help.

My knowledge is limited to the hardware.
I would suggest another forum/part of itrc for your other questions.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Mark r Rivet
Advisor

ok, thanks for your help.