1754015 Members
7582 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: no operating system found

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

no operating system found

I know, sounds simple... but the array controller initializes, and shows 1 logical drive, the utilities (f10) show that command.com and something else are on the proper partition, the array controller recognizes all 4 drives (raid 5)...

This machine was set up with smartstart 4.90, a fresh copy of windows 2000 was put on it, I had even installed SQL 2000, rebooted, everything was fine, then in an unrelated reboot, it comes up with no OS found.

This happened to 2 servers in the rack, both on a good UPS etc. Any ideas? Thanks,
Byron
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Interesting... No errors at all other than the OS error? Does the OS still show up if you boot from a Win2K CD (it should ask if you want to install over it)?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Will the server restart once you turn the PC off then back on?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We are also having problems, although slightly different. Windows 2000 is there, but when trying to get to the F10 partition we get the non system disk error and we can't configure the system. This has happened now on 2 DL380's, does anybody have any ideas?

Latest smartstart has been used (4.9) and all Bios revisions are up to date
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We are having a similar problem. We have 2 DL380 and we installed NT4 without a problem. We have 4 18.2gig drives in these machines and 2 of the drives are set to RAID 1 as array A and the other 2 as RAID 1 on Array B. We put NT on a 4 gig NTFS partition and boot to it without a problem. After booting to the partition we go into disk administrator and format the remaining space as diffrent NTFS partitions, reboot, and we get the message missing operating system. We have done this 3 times on two diffrent DL380 servers with the same result.

Just talked to tech support and they suggested intsalling NT, then installing the service pack, then running disk administrator. Second option they gave me was to remove two of the drives and run setup then install the second set of drives are reconfigure the array. I will let you know what happens.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

This reply in particular to "snowslider", I have a similar situation like your when the DL380 just came out. I install Win2k and have it running for a few days, then server reboot and came back with no Operating System found. I repeat the O/S install process again and again, same thing happened. After replacing all relate hardware component. I found out that the SCSI cable is the root cause of this intermittent issue. Try replace the SCSI ribbin cable and let me know if the problem re-occur? Regards,
TangC