ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748028 Members
4889 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: no start, flashing lights -- power ?

John Gill_1
Occasional Advisor

no start, flashing lights -- power ?

I have a Proliant 5000 that stopped working. Switching power yields flashing lights, but no power -- no fans, etc.

I assume this might be a power supply?

Thoughts ?
6 REPLIES 6
Duminda Peiris
Advisor

Need more information.....

What are the flashing lights, give exact details about LED indicators, ...

Any beep sounds when powered on ??

John Gill_1
Occasional Advisor

More deatails:

No beeping, no fans power-up. The power (green) LED blinks, along with all of the lights on each of the four hot/swap drive (trays).

This server was 100% functional and running Win2000AS the day before. I has one PP200 processor. I had tried to upgrade, by adding another Pentinum Pro processor as well as a new 5-volt VRM. The VRM was installed adjacent to the new CPU. There is room for three VRM modules on the server card/blade. I had on on the left and one on the right, with none in the middle slot. After removing the new chip and VRM, I still cannot get power-on.
Marc_37

I have the same problem with my proliant 3000, any help would be great.
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Have you done the normal routines like checking all the power connectors inside the server and taking out boards and reseating them?
John Gill_1
Occasional Advisor

I have looked at power connections, and yes, have taken out cards, replaced, etc.
Shawn_82
Occasional Advisor

I had this problem on 5000 machine sold to me as dead. I stripped it down and through process of elimination I found that by unplugging the ribbon cable (an small ide type) that comes from the psu to the motherboard with the power (big blue) connector leave this connected and making sure the lid is back properly, as this isolates power. Mine is now working, but I cannot find out what it actually does, I???m guessing the ribbon has a very small hole in it causing shorting.

Hope it's the same problem.

sd