ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noise level DL380 G6 --> quieter than my laptop!?

Damasta
Occasional Contributor

noise level DL380 G6 --> quieter than my laptop!?

hi everyone!

i just took a closer look at the DL380 G6's quick specs. the sound pressure level @ 22/28 dB(A) REALLY got my eye!

The G5 runs at 44 dB(A), and competitions' next best machine runs at 39 dB(A) - a DELL R710.

from my understanding, 22 dB(A) vs. 44 dB(A) is not simply half the volume, it is more like 13x (!) the volume.

how on earth did HP manage to get 22 dB(A) - or 1/13th the noise level of the G5? or is that a typo in the QS?

in theory, my laptop is louder than that server... ;-)
2 REPLIES
MattLavallee2
Frequent Advisor

Re: noise level DL380 G6 --> quieter than my laptop!?

I have noticed this with the G5p as well. I would actually fault the numbers with the G5 models in general, since they seem to report the same for idle & operating, which anyone who has one can tell you certainly isn't accurate (they sound like jets taking off when fans are running at high throttle).

I believe it's just a design difference in that they're using fewer fans in a solid row instead of the old tandem design.

-Matt
erkle
Advisor

Re: noise level DL380 G6 --> quieter than my laptop!?

I configured a DL360 G6 and DL380 G6 this week and was astounded by the silent operation.

Although, the fans are dynamic cooling so when the CPU's are working hard you will get a star trek sounding fan increase/decrease to keep cool. Power up is like a 737 at take off though!

All in all nice kit the G6!