108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: noisy cpu fan on proliant DL380

shyne
Occasional Contributor

noisy cpu fan on proliant DL380

HI,

i've a problem with my server
The cpu fan is very noisy and i don't now what to do ..
My server is slepping for many time and i can't use it because of this problem

can you help me..

thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Hello,
Install the System Management Driver that is supplied on the Smart Start cd. This driver will turn down the speed on the fans after it goes through POST.

Mark
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Andrew Allen

I've just built a DL380 and it is very noisy. Where on the smartstart cd is the System Management driver and from where does it need installing? During bootup with Smartstart or can it be done once the OS is up and running.

Regards

AA
Yeah baby
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Do you have a Smart Start CD? If so, I would recommend selecting the option to install software when it auto runs in the OS (hopefully it's NT or 2000, since anything else and this won't apply). Another option would be to download the latest support pack. The one required will be dependant on the OS installed. I would recommend going to:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Andrew Allen

Yeah I've got the HP Smart Start CD that came with it and I've ran the software when it autoruns. I've also installed the drivers from the system management homepage and neither of these makes any difference. I've noticed a few postings on one forum discussing noisy systems and the DL380 features!
I know it's the same as how long is a piece of string? but how noisy are they supposed to be? :-/ has anyone got DL380 G3 that's pretty silent??????
Our worry is that the fans may burn themselves out is overworked!

Regards

AA
Yeah baby
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

So this is a DL380 G3? What's the temperature like in the area it's installed in? There is also an option in the rom based setup which forces the fans to run at full speed.

If the systems management driver is installed, then I would recommend reseating the riser board (pci slots).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Paul Wallace_1

All this talk of the management patch for the server, does anyone have the sp number. I have a shop vac that runs with less noise!
When all else fails. Read the instructions!