108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ntoskrnl.exe is missing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Guy Tamir
Occasional Advisor

ntoskrnl.exe is missing

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file".
We have 2 ML-350 servers doing intensive I/O work. Sometimes we have to shut those computers down due to power failures (clean shutdown UPS is connected)
Then when we turn on those computers (already happened 3 times for one and 2 for the other) we get the above message
Any help tracking the source of the problem will most appreciated (I know how to recover)
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor
Solution

Guy:

It could very well be that the RTC battery is weak and failing. If it cannot keep the configuration settings, this can occur. Does your server require you to press F1 at Boot?
Do you get any POST Error Messges at boot?

Depending on your version of ML350, you may need to re-run the System Configuration Utiltiy from your SmartStart CD on the server and make sure it detects you boot controller.
Or, enter the RBSU and make sure the boot controller order is correct.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

this message appears when the first stage bootloader cannot read the disk supposed to contain the system partition (remember microsoft boots from the system partition and runs the system from the boot partition)

heat based failure? don't scoff, it happens. disks shut down or connections falter. run the diagnostics when it's cold then again after the server has bee running a while.

what do you do to recover? that might help determine the root cause.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Guy Tamir
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for the Information the RTC does seem as the right direction. The main problem is that I'm not on site and getting the info from local stuff (that is not well trained)
so its a bit hard for me to know the exact facts after the system load other then the error description