1753767 Members
5240 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

overheating

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

overheating

I am currently working on a Compaq Proliant 800 with an over heat problem. All the fans are working and I cleaned out the vents. The server locks after 15mins with the cover on. If I remove the cover and blow air with a fan over the CPU it runs fine. I couldn't find a diagram of the system online and need info on where the thermal sensor is and if the fans are working why is it still locking with a over heat error? Should I get a new fan anyways? and what about the heatsink for the Pentium Pro? Should I reseat it with some heatsink compound? Any help is apreciated.

Thanks,
atong4444
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: overheating

I've had the same problem with a Proliant 800. Looks like a design-failure to me... ;-)
I made a simple workaround (besides the one to switch off the overheating-alarm). I installed fans on each CPU-heatsink! I use normal CPU-fans, like they are used for PII or PIII coolers. Cheap and quick installed (I used hot-glue... I know, not the professional way, but it works).
Since I did this, I don't have any more temperature-warnings, even in warm rooms.