cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

part 2 of my ML350 G3 upgrade

mkk
Occasional Advisor

part 2 of my ML350 G3 upgrade

ok, so in part one, i replaced (5) 72.8 GB drives with (5) 146.8 GB drives. for part 2, i want to use the (5) 72.8 GB drives in my other ML350 G3 server. this server currently has (2) 72.8 GB drives in RAID 1. i have 4 drive bays open, so i was thinking of adding 4 of the 5 drives from the other server in a RAID 5 array. a few questions:

1) can i continue running my current RAID 1 in addition to adding a RAID 5 array on my SA 641 controller?

2) if i can add this RAID 5 array, do i just add the drives to the drive bays? will they be reformatted in the process or do i need to reformat before i put them into the server?

3) would it be better to use 3 drives and a hot spare, plus a spare? or should i max the available bays and use 4 drives and an offline spare?

as always, Thanks!

oh, i forgot to mention, this server is also running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.
4 REPLIES
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

Re: part 2 of my ML350 G3 upgrade

Hi,

do you want to move your "old" raid 5 of five HDDs to another server, moving only 4 HDDs ?

it's right?

bye.

TJK.
<> Leonardo da Vinci
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

1. yes you can have two different RAIDs RAID 1 and RAID 5.

2. Add te new for HDDs, when you do this go to Array Configuration Utility and create the new RAID 5. Don't worry about format.

3. RAID 5, using 4 HDDs, 3 for data and one for hot spare.

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
mkk
Occasional Advisor

"do you want to move your "old" raid 5 of five HDDs to another server, moving only 4 HDDs ?"

that was my thinking. i basically just want to utilize the old drives from my other server as additional folder/file space on this server.

"2. Add te new for HDDs, when you do this go to Array Configuration Utility and create the new RAID 5. Don't worry about format."

so, the data that is residing on those drives will be erased once i create the new RAID 5? if so, that would be great as i have a system partition on there from the other server.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

2.. yes all is going to be deleted
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!