New Discussion юеВ

power on password on risc

SOLVED
Go to solution
paolo crosara
Occasional Advisor

power on password on risc

Hi all,
I need to know if there is a way to set the power on password (boot password) on risc cpu's with hp-ux starting from 10.20 on. We have several systems both workstation and server models. It seems to be an unavailable option at least for some categories like workstation mod. 712. Is it available a kind of patch ? It would be nice to find a document or tables explaining that. Thanks a lot. Paolo
6 REPLIES 6
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: power on password on risc

No, there's no such capability. Anyway as soon as you turn on machine it boots into hpux, and then you need to know any known user's password to get into OS and receive corresponding rights.
Only one point where one can hack a machine is to stop it in PDC before it boots hpux. But in most machines you can find 'SECURE' option in PDC. Turn it on and machine will not allow to stop it in PDC, booting hpux immediately. The only way then is to reboot machine and remove bootable device (disk)... then machine will not be able to do anything than stop in PDC and wait for operatior input
Eugeny
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

as Eugene mentions there is no option. What you can do is set your bootpath to some garbage path and secure the BCH.

The SECURE password option also mentioned can then be used to set a correct boot path and boot up the box.

Later,
Bill

It works for me (tm)
paolo crosara
Occasional Advisor

Guys, I have been impressed by your prompt reply, tkx.
I just need a little additional help.
Eugeny, which is the way to return OFF the "secure" boot_admin option?
Bill, at which level (PDC, ISL, HPUX)do you think to modify the boot path to garbage path ?
thanks ciao

Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

from PDC (ie PA PRI scsi.X.Y)
AND from HP-UX before every shutdown. (setboot -p h/w/path)
It works for me (tm)
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

The only way is to force workstation not to boot from the disk by removing it physically. Then workstation will have nothing to do than to stuck in PDC, allowing you to walk within its menus and tuning off secure mode.
Of course you may not remove disk physically, but simply corrupt data in LIF area using hpux dd command - it will have the same result - workstation will not boot... but I guess it's not a good suggestion :o) as soon as user data will be corrupt also!
Eugeny
paolo crosara
Occasional Advisor

Thanks folks. Ciao