108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: power supply problem with proliant 2500

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amy Weisbeck
Occasional Advisor

power supply problem with proliant 2500

Our Proliant 2500 recently stopped working. It would not turn on at all, so we replaced the power supply. After replacing the power supply, we tried turning it on and the fans spin and the lights on all the drives flash once, and it will not boot. Any help would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

there's a cable that goes from the power supply to the mini-backplane board (where the Processor board and I/O board are plugged in). Make sure this cable is connected properly. I've attached a picture, with the connector marked. You should also try removing and reseating the processor board and I/O board.

Regards,
Stephen
Amy Weisbeck
Occasional Advisor

This solved my problem!! It turns out I had that cable plugged in upside down. Thank you so much for your suggestion!!
Amy Weisbeck
Occasional Advisor

Stephen,
The power supply is working great! Thanks for helping me out. But now I am hoping you can help me out with another problem. Yesterday, it did a memory dump and when I restarted it came up with an error message saying that one of the drives was bad. I replaced that drive with a new one we had on hand. Now when I try to reinstall Windows NT Server 4.0 it gives me a "STOP 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" message. I have no idea what could be wrong. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks, Amy
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Amy:

During your install, were you trying to do a "repair" of windows using a diskette build with SP2 disks?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;167652

Do you have any PCI cards in the server during the install other than the NIC? What model of NIC? You may want to build the server without any extra PCI cards in the server and then, once the O/S is installed, add in the cards one at a time and install the drivers for them.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/7_1113.html
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Amy Weisbeck
Occasional Advisor

John,
No, I am using the CD with Windows NT Server 4.0 on. I don't believe there are any PCI cards installed. There are 3 RAM modules, 1-64MB and 2-32MB for a total of 128MB. I tried each module separately to see if one of them was faulty and still got the same error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Amy
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Amy:

Is this going to be a "fresh" install of WinNT or are you trying to save some data on the drives?

Are you using the SmartStart CD to perform the O/S install?
Enjoy!

Amy Weisbeck
Occasional Advisor

After I installed the new drive and turned the computer on, it came up and said "invalid system disk, replace and restart the system." I assumed that I needed to reinstall Windows because that is what we had to do before when we replaced a drive. I am not using the SmartStart CD. Should I be?
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Ok... if you not trying to save any data on the existing drives, then yes, use the SmartStart CD and perform a system erase on the server and start from scratch.

The above will get you back to factory settings and the SmartStart CD will guide you through the rest of the install.

If you are trying to save the data, then you will want to remove any non-failed drives before installing the new O/S. Then, after the O/S is built, you return the disks and import them as forign and you get back some of what you lost. You should still use SmartStart to help you.
Enjoy!

Allan Forbes

Id like to pull back the old power problem.

My compaq doesnt power on with the mentioned connector plugged in, if I take it out, it powers but does not post.

When you mentioned you had it upside down, I got a false glimmer of hope but when I checked it can only go on way because one of the middle two pin holes is blocked
Kinda like this -> ::.::
And then on further inspection I also noticed this 8 pin jumper only houses 6 cables. Perhaps I could modify that plug to fit the right pins on my board. (I replaced PSU, I stupidly binned the old one thinking that was the problem)