Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem in the ML570 Server running Windows 2000 Advanced server

Bobby_27
Occasional Contributor

problem in the ML570 Server running Windows 2000 Advanced server

Hi,

I am facing a problem in one of the ML570 Dual processor, it is the global catalogue server of the 2000 domain envirnonment..plus we are running an antivirus server ( Trend Micro)and this server is acting as the Antivirus server also for the clients.At times if we want to do something on the server, the desktop becomes completely out of control,at that moment of time we cannot do anything on the server, because the screen of the desktop goes out of contrlol, seems as if it is not refreshing the screen.Checked the refresh rate also,it is set at 85%..there is a RILOE card installed in this server...Can anyone help us out on this..

Regards

Bob
5 REPLIES
Leonard Davison
Frequent Advisor

Re: problem in the ML570 Server running Windows 2000 Advanced server

Is there a KVM connected to this box. If so, can you bypass it and go "direct".
Help define "goes out of control". Does the mouse act funny, does the screen flicker?
Is there a remote control software on the box (PCAnywhere,VNC etc).
Just a personal note; 85mhz on a server...try lowering it to 60mhz....personally don't use much over 60mhz for servers.....
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Re: screen out of control

Can you be more specific ?

Re: RILOE

Did you try to use it to remote control the console ? If yes does it work ? In that case you could try to reconfigure video.

Other remote control options:

Did you install terminal server / administration mode ? In that case you can use remotde desktop client to connect.

Most administration tools can be installed on a client pc (adminpack.msi).
Bobby_27
Occasional Contributor

there is no KVM connected to this server.Yes a Riloe card is there to which the monitor is connected.The mouse & keyboard are connected directly to the server.There is no remote control software installed on it.No we are not trying to remote control the console.We just want to work on this server by physically working on it.

re: out of control- i mean to say that for example i want to work on the server like opening the anitvirus server console on it, or say starting the NT backup,at times this problem occurs that the desktop starts moving around, then a white patch comes on the desktop,and we cannot manage the desktop with the mouse or the keyboard..and say we leave it like this for sometime then it starts working fine after sometime...then it might work well for sometime or even few days, but then it occurs suddenly...we have also changed the monitor but still the same problem with the other monitor.
Leonard Davison
Frequent Advisor

Bobby...

Sounds to me like one of two possibilities:
1.) Bad Riloe Card and/or needs reseating.
2.) Some process on the server is "maxing" out the CPU causing it/them to stay running at 100% for extended periods of time. Try setting the system from Background Services to Applications (When you can access it) also try leaving Task Manager running on the task bar to see if it "stays green" while this is occurring.
Colin_36
Occasional Advisor

Apply the latest drivers for the RILOE and update the RILOE firmware. There was a problem like this with the RILOE I with older drivers. If that does not work, remove the card as previously stated to even identify if that is causing the problem.