cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

processor upgrade/install questions

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

processor upgrade/install questions

We have a DL380 G5 into which we are installing new quad-core processors (Xeon 54xx), we've already obtained the HP processor kits and instructions etc.

1. What kind of thermal grease is best for the processor installation?? I know there's silicone-based and silver-based, any information or recommendations, please??

http://www.cdwg.com/shop/search/results.aspx?key=thermal+grease&searchscope=All&sr=1

2. Are HP BIOS updates cumulative?? That is, if I install the latest BIOS update, everything will be good??

Thank you, Tom
9 REPLIES
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Re: processor upgrade/install questions

Note: I had been told that grease was included in the processor kit. No grease is included and the installation instructions in the box do not mention using grease, only making certain not to touch the 'covered' portion of the heatsink.

Further comments or insights would be much appreciated.

Thank you, Tom
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

The processor kit HP product number appears to be 484310-B21, this is what was on my CDWG quote for ordering it.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

1. this is the one HP recommends
395532-001

2. yes before upgrading to NEW Procs update System ROM to the latest
the latest always includes all previous fixes and has new enhancements

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Hello Karlo,

Would you please provide more information about the grease in addition to the part number??

Searching the part number on CDWG gives me no hits and site errors on HP.com.

Thank you, Tom
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Neither thermal grease nor alcohol cleaning pad was included in our processor kits. We got new heatsinks though.

I've asked CDWG for help finding the product number you provided, any additional information you can provide would be very helpful.

Thank you, Tom
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

google

http://www.google.com/search?q=395532-001&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS271CR273

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/results.htm?SID=1121516&MEID=990A4ADD-73D2-4DD7-8297-7D6AE0B764BD

**Processor and heatsink replacement

Note: If you are replacing a heatsink and/or processor, you will need to remove and reapply new thermal grease to the heatsink to ensure a proper seal.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

by the way it is Isopropyl alcohol based
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The silver-based thermal grease conducts heat somewhat better, but it also conducts electricity rather well, so it may cause short circuits if any of it is spilled on the system board or on the CPU contacts.

If you put too much thermal grease (any type) on the CPU, the pressure of the heat sink module will cause the excess grease to spill around the CPU. This cannot really be inspected nor cleaned up without removing the heat sink, requiring another re-application of thermal grease.

To sum up, I'd say that the silver-based grease is better thermally, but you'll need to have a bit of skill in applying it to avoid the risk of damaging your hardware by short circuits.

MK
MK
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Karlo, thank you for the link...you had better success than I did with google. :)

Matt, thank you for mentioning about being careful with the grease.

This HP article says the alcohol and grease are supposed to be included but we did not get them...but isopropyl alcohol is easy to get, we will go with silver grease if we can...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00821538&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Thank you, Tom