6714 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

prolian ml110 G6 and Software-RAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
mrma

prolian ml110 G6 and Software-RAID

when installing our new server it wasn't possible to set the Raid-Configure for Raid1.
to enable software-Raid it seems ton be nessesary to install the BIOS-Update.
Is it possible to configure the Server with 2x 750GB HDD for RAID1 without deleting all files+system? We want to use the SW-Controler, no Hardware-controler installed.

ger: kann man nach dem wohl notwendigen bios-update die zwei Serverplatten mit dem Software-controler f├╝r RAID1 konfigurieren ohne dass die Daten auf der schon benutzten ersten HDD gel├╢scht werden?

5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: prolian ml110 G6 and Software-RAID

> it seems ton be nessesary to install the BIOS-Update

Why do you say that? What BIOS version do you have and where did you read that you need a BIOS update? Normally you go in the BIOS screens to enable or disable the software raid option of the SATA controller.

What OS do you have running in the server?

Do you have data on both disks right now? If yes you will not be able to convert to raid1.
GarethShark
Occasional Advisor

You need the latest BIOS update to enable the RAID option on the ML110 G6 server.

If you are receiving a BIOSSync error when attempting to install from an HP branded OS disk, try installing again from a external USB DVD drive.
mrma

When instaling the server by end of Feb2010 we were not able to set the raid-array...
now i've seen the following thread: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1409803

So, I hope, it will be fixed with the bios-update.

We run Win2008 Server SBS.

Should we better buy a HW-Controler? What is the difference between HW and SW? Sorry for stupid questions. I'm not IT-Professional...

Second HDD is not used.
What happens to the files/system? Has anybody made this without problems?

Bob Salomon
Occasional Advisor

I had the same issue, was planning on using RAID 1, but could not get it to work. I should have checked the BIOS update. Did some research and determined that there was no speed hit for software raid 1. Though software RAID 5 is really bad. Also the this server has fairly low utilization.
P Muralidhar Kini
Honored Contributor

Hi,

>> What is the difference between HW and SW
Both of them have their own advantage/disadvantage.
You need to select one based on your requirement.

* Software RAID has the advantage that you can reassemble your RAID array
in the case of a hardware failure.

* Hardware RAID has the advantage of being able to perform the RAID funtions
without much CPU involvement.

For detailed comparison of SW VS HW Raid, refer -
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/raid-hardware-vs-raid-software.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Murali
Let There Be Rock - AC/DC