1752330 Members
5665 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: proliant 1600

scott_329
Occasional Advisor

proliant 1600

Installed SuSe Enterprise and deleted the boot partition - i believe, which i found out when SuSe rebooted and nothing happen beyond the normal Compaq 2 beeps and this message: Press Ctr-B to Select MBA Boot Method... Of course nothing happens when I press ctr-b. I downloaded and created the 4 disk Compaq System Configuration utility... but again the server beeps twice - lights up the floppy drive for a second and then again gives me the Ctr-B message...... Can anyone move me along here.
thanks
scott von holzen
8 REPLIES 8
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

can you boot from any boot CD ?
scott_329
Occasional Advisor

I cannot boot from the CD. Same situation the light comes on and that is it. Tried different cables and different floppy and CDrom drives ALL with the SAME results. It dead in the water... beyound the POST....
I am Swiss and a VERY stubborn trouble shooter but.........
Maybe it would be better time spent and cheaper buying a new used 1600 on Ebay.

thanks

scott
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

Did you try to update some FW.

The problem that you have is same when falure to update FW on proliant server.
You probably need this :
Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette
Or you have problem with your system board.

do you see system self test ?
Do you can get any Bios windows ?

Or your screen is black ?
scott_329
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the quick response......
Not sure what you mean by "FW"? ; but I made a diskette with the Systems ROMpaq upgrade disk 4.14; but (I have just tried that option again) & again the light on the floppy lights up for a second and then I get "Press ctr-B to select MBA boot method."
Yes, to "do (I) see system self test?" I get a great visual and standard procedure POST including the Compaq splash screen. Your question "Do you get any Bios windows?" I guess I would answer I cannot get into the Compaq BIOS setup program I tried all the F10 F12 F2 Ctr-F10 still NOTHING.
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

did you set right your boot order ?
Did you try to start from ms-dos boot disk ?
I see that server try to boot from floppy disk.
FW mean
Frimware :)
Sorry that I can't help you.
It was all that I can do for you :((

scott_329
Occasional Advisor

A ms-dos disk Win98 gives me the same 'light on for a second' then go to the MBA message.
thanks for your time.

scott
scott_329
Occasional Advisor

I googled AGAIN the MBA boot method and suddenly I found a link to a 3Com page that talks about Booting from the Network MBA.
Near the beginings off all SuSe did not recognize the onboard nick card. I Installed a standard 3Com 3c905b card. To be honest I should have seen this quickly as a possible cause.. but the problem at first seemed intermittent. I remove the 3com card and ALL is back to normal.
thanks for your help...just needed someone elses thoughts to rekindle/reset mine

scott von holzen
wausau coated products
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

story whit heppy end :)