1752599 Members
5275 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: proliant 3000 and raid

Mike_393
Occasional Advisor

proliant 3000 and raid

I have a pdc running NT4 sp6a with no Raid. Is a complete reinstall required to add Raid?
3 REPLIES 3
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Are you talking about Hardware raid or Software raid?

If it's software RAID -- I'd recommend staying away from it in NT4

If it's hardware based-
Easiest way would be to FIRST add the driver for your array controller in (through the control panel). Then hopefully you have a tape backup so you can make a current backup. Then take whatever steps it takes to restore your tape - you might even be able to pull of a disaster recovery.

This could be a little time consuming, but it would prob be faster than a complete re-install, especially if the server is already loaded up.
Mike_393
Occasional Advisor

I am definately looking for a hardware solution. Let's say I have 4 harddrives My system partition on #1 can I remove 2-4. Configure raid then put them back in and copy their data?

Thanks for your reply
Mike
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

If your first partition is on it's own drive, you can have that SCSI controller be the primary boot controller, then throw your other data onto the drives that are on the array controller.

Once you put drives on an array controller, you have to create your first array. When you do that, all data is wiped from the drives. Then you create your logical drives, and you can start restoring.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you!