ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748140 Members
3589 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: proliant 3000 processor 1 failed (dual PIII-550s)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dale Morin
Occasional Advisor

proliant 3000 processor 1 failed (dual PIII-550s)

My proliant 3000 had been running dual PII-450 rocessors for about a year when this all started. About a month ago, I was compiling a custom linux kernel, and to run the new kernel I rebooted the machine. When POST was running, it said "212-Processor 1 failed". After removing the 2nd vrm and processor, running the scu to indicate the processor was repaired, the single processor ran fine. Since I wanted duals I decided to get PIII-550 processors since they were not a lot more money than the PII-450s. I received them and plugged them in - they would not boot and I received a message similar to "unsupported processor". I downloaded and flashed the bios with the latest update and tried again. This time the system booted and indicated that both processors had been initialized. However, the boot log only reported cpu0, not cpu0 and cpu1 as I expected. I rebooted, thinking that I had somehow selected the single-processor kernel. This time the POST said "212-Processor 1 failed" again. I have reset the ROM with the SCU, and switched the vrms and processors around. In every case they booted and worked fine by themselves. That's when I replaced the system board.

I flashed the bios to the latest version and used the scu to erase NVRAM. After all this, I received the same results - one processor works fine, two processors report OK the first time (even though the boot log reports otherwise) and on a reboot it tells me processor 1 failed. As a sanity check I obtained 2 new vrms, but they cause no change in behavior.

My final effort was to set the switches (SW1) to a 500mhz speed, but POST said a 550mhz processor was initialized and I got the same bad result when I plugged in the second vrm and processor.

I have marked the processors and vrms so that I can carefully test them in all combinations, and even replaced the system board. I cannot think of any other things to try - am I just stuck with a single processor system?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
9 REPLIES 9
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Dale,

For the switches when you have the 550's in, is it

Sw1 - ON, Sw2 - OFF, Sw3 - OFF, Sw4 - OFF ??
Dale Morin
Occasional Advisor

Hello Tom,

Yes, the SW1 switches are on, off, off, off. When I tried to set the speed to 500mhz I used SW1 on, off, off, on.

Neither setting has made any difference.
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Is there any chance you could try both processors in another machine, like a workstation? OR.. since it sounds like you have access to parts, maybe you have another 550mhz proc. laying around you could try.
Dale Morin
Occasional Advisor

Hello and thanks Tom,

The only other slot-1 machine I have is a proliant 1600 (currently running dual PII-300s), and it's max processor speed is 300mhz, so I don't think that will help.

But, can faster processors be used in the 1600 by leaving the SW1 switches set to 300 mhz? If they would work, even if they are running slower than their rated speed, then I could test them together.

Yes, no, maybe?
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Can't say I would want to try that myself... hehe.

How about this - on the New board, have you tried this?
Step 1 :
0. Boot To System Configuration Utility (F10)
1. At main menu press Ctrl-A (or Ctrl-Q) to activate Advanced mode
2. Select System Configuration
3. Select Hardware Configuration
4. Select View and edit details
5. Change APIC Mode to Full Table (or Full Table Mapped
(taken from http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/askkcs/abg/260_0_19687520_3077792.html )
Dale Morin
Occasional Advisor

Tom, thanks for staying with me on this.

I had to take a quick trip out of town, I will try this when I get home. I have heard about the APIC setting but never changed it or noticed it using the scu advanced mode. I will let you know the results.
Dale Morin
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Tom.

The APIC setting was the problem. The proper setting (in this circumstance) was FULL TABLE not FULL TABLE MAPPED. I've now got a proliant 3000 server running dual 550s. Thanks.
David_330
Advisor

hello i have a question regarding you proliant 3000 upgrade.

did you purchase the compaq 550 upgrade kit or just use any PIII 550 with the proper vrm and heatsink?

thanks!
Thanks again everyone.
Dale Morin
Occasional Advisor

I just used 2 matched PIII-550 processors with the proper VRMs and it works fine. You do need to be sure the stepping codes match on the two processors.