cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

proliant 3000 wont allow me to install array config tools

Old
Occasional Visitor

proliant 3000 wont allow me to install array config tools

I have a 3000 450mHZ which wont allow me to install any array config software, this is running on windows 2000. I have tried installing using webagents but it says "it dosnt need to be installed"

This is becoming an annoyance! Im trying to do a simple mirror on two 9gb drives.
7 REPLIES
Derek Parmenter
Frequent Advisor

Re: proliant 3000 wont allow me to install array config tools

I assume that you already have the Array controller installed, with one drive and trying to install the mirror ?

What version of ACU are you trying to install and what is the RAID controller and if possible, what BIOS rev is the controller running ?

You could use Smartstart if you take down the server and using ACU from Smartstart to reconfigure the Array controller. This is an alternative, but may get you past your initial issue. Otherwise, if you can give the further information we may get your system working online.
Old
Occasional Visitor

derek,

i installed windows 2000 without smartstart....im just trying to install the ACU on this link....but have triad also installign the web based config tool.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17322.html

i try and run the ACU from smartstart by booting off the SS CD but it dosnt show it there in the tools so i can configue the ACU...
i thought i would have been able to install windows 2000 from CD and then install the relevant utilitys on the website.
Thilo Knoch
Frequent Advisor

I have seen this once ago with a RAID LC2 controller.
If you have only this controller (it is not supported by the ACU and other configuration programs) or no Compaq Array controller at all in this machine, it is correct.
What type of array controller is installed in this machine?
What names are listed in the device manager at "SCSI and RAID" controller.
As far as I know the PL 3000 was built normally (except the "Array" models) without an Array controller. The drive cages were connected to the integrated SCSI (non-Array) controller.
If there is no Array controller in the machine you can set up a software mirror using the W2K disk management. If you have an LC2 controller you can configure it at boot time.
If you have a 3rd-party array controller (Mylex, ...) you will need the appropriate tools supplied by the controller manufacturer.
Derek Parmenter
Frequent Advisor

Old,

It should let you use SS to configure the RAID. DO you know which RAID controller it is, it will tell you on POST.

The patch you installed is the RAID driver, it will not allow you to configure the RAID.

If I were you I would download the Supportpaq from the following web page.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1112.html

This is the Windows 2000 support for the ProLiant 3000 from HP. It should load all the drivers and management tools including ACU for you. You will need to do a reboot when you are finished and of course I suggest that all normal precautions such as a system backup etc. is performed first.
Old
Occasional Visitor

tried installing the agents using the support pack but it said the same message as i got when i installed the agents seperatly.....

i think this maybe me at fault, i havnt accessed the SCSI cables inside the server, although the disk shows as a secondary drive so it must be connected....

i will get you all relevant SCSI devices installed ASAP tomorrow....thanks guys.

Old
Occasional Visitor

ok....it shows two scsi compaq cards thats it....
Derek Parmenter
Frequent Advisor

Okay it sounds as though you may not have a RAID controller.

There are a number of ways to check, the two easy ways are as follows:

1. Reboot the machine, at POST it will initialise the RAID controller, if it doesn't, give a SMART XXXX (where XXXX is the model) part to the post with intialising, there probably isn't a RAID controller. Also at this stage it will initialise the two SCSI channels and this will show the model numbers of the drives and any tape devices.

2. If the Survey utility was installed, there should be a file, C:\Compaq\Survey\Survey.txt if you post that up on the page, I will analyse it for you.

Let me know how you get on.