1752777 Members
5976 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: proliant 3000

Robert Fox
Occasional Advisor

proliant 3000

I had a dual pII 300 proliant. I wanted to upgrade to the faster processors so i ordered a gen II mobo for the 3000. I got the processors, ram, vrms, and such installed. I power up the unit and the fans roar to life, the drives flash, but the system does not boot.

i have set the correct switches on the board for the new processor speeds. The board shows that it has power...i am at the end of my rope here. Any help woudl be great. Thanks in advance.

rob
11 REPLIES 11
Joe Bova

Hi Rob,
I suggest that you go back to square one, reinstall the old hardware, validate that the system boots before you continue. Then validate that you have the correct firmware to support the new processors (I'm not too familiar with the 3000 so I cannot give rev numbers).

Once you're comfortable that the original unit functions, start by replacing one component at a time, memory first. Then remove the old processors (both) and add the new ones with its regulator one at a time too validate that the hardware functions.

While this procedure may not solve the actual problem, it should give you additional information as to which component is giving you trouble.

Thanks,

Joe
Robert Fox
Occasional Advisor

The old hardware worked when i yanked it out. The new hardware doesnt work with the old hardware. THe gen 1 boards only support up to a 333 processor and 512 of ram...i now have 550 processors and 1gig of ram (2x512).

I guess i do not know how to update the firmware if i dont make it to the bios screen...any additional thoughts would be great...

thanks again

rob
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

Strip the system down to bare minimum. unplug all the ribbon cables from the front of board (both SCSI, IDE, floppy). Take out all RAM. Install one processor and the corresponding VRM. Unplug all cards. Turn on the system. You should get an error beep sequence, telling you that the RAM has failed (of course it would, there isn't any in the system). If you get the beep, the processor is working and you can add RAM. You should get video now. Add the remaining components back one by one, test every time.

If you get no beep, you have either a bad processor, a bad systemboard or a bad power supply (or bad connections with the cables).
Kevin_149

We are having the same problem, Gen II motherboard
with 2 PIII 500s and VRMS
power it on and the cd drive constantly blinks and the raid controller looks like it's resetting.
David_330
Advisor

i like to perform this upgrade also.

can someone give me some idea of the cost for the new system board, vrm, and processor (500) once this upgrade was complete?

i am curious if the upgrade or just buying a new system is the best route.

thanks.
Thanks again everyone.
Robert Fox
Occasional Advisor

well i found out my problem to be the fact that i only had ECC ram and not Registered ECC ram...now i am running into a "212 Processor 1 failed" error...i have swapped out both procs...changed vrms around etc...i fear that the used board i got might have a bad slot. :( any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Robert Fox
Occasional Advisor

well i found out my problem to be the fact that i only had ECC ram and not Registered ECC ram...now i am running into a "212 Processor 1 failed" error...i have swapped out both procs...changed vrms around etc...i fear that the used board i got might have a bad slot. :( any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

This error will never go away on it's own. This error has to be manually cleared out.

I would recommend pressing F10 after post, select the option to run the System configuration utility, it should ask if the processor problem has been corrected. Answer yes to this prompt and the server should prompt to cycle power. If you do this and the comes back again, then it's likely a problem with the Proc, possibly system board though.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Robert Fox
Occasional Advisor

well when i go into f10 i have to resetup the system board and i havent been able to locate the disc that it is asking for...i do know that both procs are fine, that is why i feared the system board. I have tried both procs in that slot and both in slot 2....the smart start cd that i do have is too old to support the new setup that i have so i am in the process of trying to locate a never version. THanks for the ideas though.