Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

proliant 5000 win2k3 multiprocessor problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
bruno fournier
Occasional Contributor

proliant 5000 win2k3 multiprocessor problem

I just acquired a compaq proliant 5000 server with 4 processors. At start up all processors are inititalized.

Windows 2003 was installed on it with multiprocessor enabled, however in my task manager I only have one processor window. If I go to the device manager, the HAL is for multiprocessor. Now according to microsoft,http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319091

Windows Server 2003 May Not Use Multiple Processors with Some Pentium Pro or Pentium II Processors

"if the value next to Processor is "Processor x86 Family 6" and "Model 1" or "Model 3," your server is running with only one processor"

This is exactly what I have ...
Is there a fix for this ?Microsoft only suggest to go back to an earlier version of Windows...surely there must be a better fix than that!

Bruno
5 REPLIES
Chris Stoneley
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: proliant 5000 win2k3 multiprocessor problem

As I understand it (I have the same problem) it's never going to be supported since they consider it legacy. So it's back to 2000 Advanced Server, or NT Server 4.0. Even NT Workstation or 2000 Professional would at least use two of the processors...
bruno fournier
Occasional Contributor

Thx for the answer, I did go back to Advance server 2000 and all processors work....strange how Microsoft would not bother fixing this.

By the way do you know where I could get the original set up CD's for this Proliant 5000. I have no disks or CD's. It came with the BIOS and Disk Array already configured on the hard drives, but if I ever have to set up again, I will have nothing. I bought 5 other SCSI disks from Ebay and have no way of setting them up since I have no starter CD. I am really a novice at this, and am afraid to do more harm than good....

Bruno
Klaus Cremer
Occasional Visitor

bruno fournier
Occasional Contributor

thx, that's what I had found, I will see how I can now set up my new SCSI drives I bought on Ebay.

Bruno
Chris Stoneley
Frequent Advisor

You can also order SmartStart 5.50 from HP - this includes assisted installation of NT4.0 and Windows 2000 Advanced Server options. Comes to about $28 including shipping & handling.