ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748289 Members
3121 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: proliant 7000 disk array configuration diskette

deann_3

proliant 7000 disk array configuration diskette

I have a Compaq Proliant 7000 server that I bought to learn how to set up a server, it did not come with any disks or set up software. I am trying load a operating system (windows server2003) and when it reaches about 50% or so it has a blue screen (machine exception check) and it then reboots. I was told that i may have a bad sector on my hard drives so a low level format may fix this it. It has the Smart array 3100ES controller and has 5 18.2gb scsi drives set up in Raid 5. but to do a low level format it asks me for a "diskette labeled disk array configuration" I also want to add a addtional drive and i assume that i will need this diskette as well. I have been on the HP site looking for a way to make a disk and the only resources i see are windows based driver and will not work.
So what i need to know is 1. How to create a Disk Array diskette, how to add that other drive and finely how to do a low level format
2 REPLIES 2
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

You won't be able to do a low level format of a physical if it is connected to a RAID controller. SA-3100ES will present you only logical drive consisting of 5 HDDs in RAID5 config. And it definitely is NOT a bad sector if bad sector is detected on a HDD, it will be reallocated. If reallocation threshold will eb exceeded, the SA-3100ES will mark the problematic HDD as bad (RED led on HDD), and will disable it. Try using the latest SmartStart that supports Proliant 7000 (IIRC it is v 5.50) to completely clear servers configuration, then set it up using SmartStart manual configuration, set the operating System in EISA config utility to Windows and try again to install W2K3.
deann_3

ok thanks that answers one question that it is not bad sectors but I have downloaded the smart start program and made a CD I have booted to it but am not sure how to proceed you had mentioned clearing the configuration what command s on the CD does this also i cannot use the CD to make diskettes as when i try to do this on another machine i get the message that the smart cd cannot be found