1753470 Members
5215 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: proliant dl 380

stefano Vitali

proliant dl 380

Ho un server proliant dl 380 ,e avrei bisogno di sapere , se posso espandere la RAM.
non ho molta esperienza su server hp, e non posso aprire il server perch├и ├и in produzione.S├▓ che il server ├и equipaggiato con 4Gb ma non so il taglio,vorrei sapere se posso espandere almeno ad 8 gb la RAM magari togliendo tutta la ram che compone i 4gb e mettendo 8gb con un taglio da 2Gb ciascuno.Premetto che chiedo questo perch├и chi mi ha dato la macchina in manutenzione diceva che era full. Penso allora che intendesse magari che avendo messo 8 pezzi da 512Mb e si era riempito tutto.
Grazie in Anticipo

Hi , I have one server proliant dl 380 g4 and I need to know , if I can expand RAM memory.
I don't have experience about hp server , and I can't open the server because is in production phase. But I know that the server have 4 Gb of ram but I don't know the cut of ram(512,1024?)
,so I ask you If I put off all the ram ,and buy 4 piece of ram by 2 Gb ,can I arrive to 8Gb without problem?
Tanks in Advance
6 REPLIES 6
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Stefano,

You may have to follow some guidelines is you are looking at a smooth upgrade of the memory.

* Populate slots 1 and 2, Bank A first

* Always install memory in pairs of two identical DIMMs.

* Install DIMMs with the same speed.

* Install DIMMs into both slots within a single bank.

* Install DIMMs in order. Upgrade memory by installing DIMM pairs into banks in sequential bank order, starting with bank B.

Memory is expandable to 12GB with 512MB, 1GB, and 2GB modules on this server.
The server has a total of 6 slots.

So if you currently have 4GB of RAM of either 512MB or 1024MB, you can meet the requirement of 8GB by just adding 2x 2GB of memory considering that the above guidelines have been met.

Hope this answers!!!!!!

Regards,
rmn
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Stefano,

A slight calculation error in the earlier post.

If you currently have 4GB of RAM of either 1024MB, you can meet the requirement of 8GB by just adding 2x 2GB of memory considering that the above guidelines have been met.

But if you have each memory of 512MB, you may not be able to meet your requirement.

Regards,
rmn
stefano Vitali

Tank you for the reply , I have some new information on the server configuration ,I have obtained it by lshw(ls hardware), the schema is:
0-bank 512Mb DIMM DDR Synch 333Mhz
1-slot 512Mb DIMM DDR Synch 333Mhz
2-slot 512Mb DIMM DDR Synch 333Mhz
3-slot 512Mb DIMM DDR Synch 333Mhz
4-slot 1024Mb DIMM DDR Synch 333Mhz
5-slot 1024Mb DIMM DDR Synch 333Mhz

If I remove all the bank and put this new configuration:

0-bank 2048Mb DIMM DDR2 400Mhz
1-slot 2048Mb DIMM DDR2 400Mhz
2-slot 2048Mb DIMM DDR2 400Mhz
3-slot 2048Mb DIMM DDR2 400Mhz
4-slot empty
5-slot empty

Is a right solution for me?
P.S.:Is there another program to use for analyze the configuration (OS fedora core linux)
Tanks in advance
stefano Vitali

Sorry but another question born in me :
Is normal that a dl 380 g4 server mount a ddr with 333 Mhz ? beacause now I'm reading the data specification for dl 380 g4 and only ddr2 400Mhz are listed like possible ram to mount.
regards
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Stefano,

The DL380 G4 comes standard with 1 GB of 2-way interleaved PC2-3200 DDR2 SDRAM running at 400MHz.

So there should not be any issues having that configuration for the memory.
But ensure that you do not mix the memory modules earlier installed with this memory modules.

There is no tools to analyze the memory configurations that I am aware of.

Hope this answers!!!!!!

Regards,
rmn
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Stefano,

My previous post should answer that question.

Regards,
rmn