ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748196 Members
2890 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

proliant dl140 g3 setup

barrie paterson

proliant dl140 g3 setup

Having problems setting up Win2k3 on the DL140 G3 server.

Have set the 2 80gb disks to raid 0, then started setup, installed drivers for Sata disk via F6, but setup still fails to find disks.

What am i doing wrong?
Is there a smartstart cd that is compatible? (said 5.50 or earlier, but i want 2k3 setup on it, not sure if this will support this)
10 REPLIES 10
hfourie
Occasional Advisor

Re: proliant dl140 g3 setup

Hi,

Having the same problem. Have the model with internal HP 8 SAS RAID controller. As the machine does not support internal floppy, using usb floppy. Set 2 x 26GB Hot Plug SAS disks to RAID 1, then try to install windows 2003 R2. During install hit F6. It picks up the driver from floppy ok. However, when the install tries to copy the files after formatting disk(so it is able to see disks up th then) it prompts to enter disk into A drive. I have had this issue before with DL320 internal RAID controllers before, and the only way to get round it was to get internal floppy drive. USB did not work. DL140 does not support internal floppy!

I also broke the raid and tried to setup windows as if only standard drive. Setup doesnt even pick the single disk! Very worrying.

Please could someone assist.
barrie paterson

i am using a usb floppy to try and install the raid drivers, it looks like it installs them from floppy, but then when windows install is slected, it cannot find the disks.

annoying!
hfourie
Occasional Advisor

do you want to log a call with hp or shall I???

barrie paterson

if you want to log a call, go for it.
hfourie
Occasional Advisor

Logged a call. AND IT WORKS!!!

the only workaround as per hp, is to use a free peice of software, nLite. It allows you to build drivers, service packs etc into a Win CD. It is a GREAT little tool.
http://www.nliteos.com/

I build the hp 4/8 SAS drivers into the CD, and presto. Its installing now.

During the CD creation, the only slight thing to look oout for is select, "Text based driver" not PNP.

During text based install of Windows, it even flashes the LSI driver. very sweet.

Let me know if you get sorted.
barrie paterson

i'll give it a go and let you know
pjscott13

How did you go Barrie? I have the same setup as you. Did it work?

Phil
hfourie
Occasional Advisor

Hi there,

I have advised this solution to some of my colleagues aswell, as the same thing happens with the DL320 G5, if you cant get hold of an internal floppy.

This def works, and nLite is actually a great tool to simply automate Windows Install without fiddling about with txt files.

Give it a go, and pls post if you have probs ... doubt you will. Very easy application to use.
Abdur Rasheedh

The issue could be resolved if a HP- USB floppy drive is used in the installation. This is because the basic BIOS information in the System board contains only the USB drivers for the HP- USB drive. This works for all the HP proliant servers though it doesnot say it in the manual which i think it should say.