ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

proliant dl380 g5 - windows OS install on c drive but keep d drive intact?

ei99
Occasional Visitor

proliant dl380 g5 - windows OS install on c drive but keep d drive intact?

I currently have proliant dl380 g5 server with windows 2008 enterprise installed and only use as hyper-v host. after upgrading server with SP2 a while back, it became very slow to restart. it takes 40-50 min to restart. i exhausted the route to fix it and now planning to reinstall clean OS

Since I only have simple installation of windows 2008 enterprise sp2 with hyper-v, I assume this is quick straight forward server refresh. i have c drive for OS (2 mirrored drives) and d drive (6 raid5 drives, includes all VMs), all attached to SmartArray controller P400

I would like to reinstall/refresh c drive only and leave d drive intact. I assume that during installation if I choose to install to c drive, that is exactly what is going to happen and d drive will stay with all precious VMs. To be in the safe side, I intend to

- shut down server

- pull out all d drive hard drives

- reinstall fresh windows 2008 enterprise sp2 with hyper-v

- reconnect d drive hard drives

I assume that the d drive raid5 will just come back with raid data stored on drives and controller

Is this right? or this is a wrong assumption and I should reinstall differently?

I understand that I'll need to reconfigure all VMs, which is fine, or find a way to restore VM configuration from backup

I appreciate your expert advise on shedding more light into the proper way to refresh server

Thanks all

P.S.This thread has been moved from Servers>General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)- HP Forums Moderator

2 REPLIES
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: proliant dl380 g5 - windows OS install on c drive but keep d drive intact?

Windows Installation will only see two drives - the Logical Drive on the RAID1 for OS and the Logical Drive on the RAID5 for VM storage.

If you compare the sizes of the two available disks in the OS installation - it should be quite easy to figure out which disk you want to re-install the OS to.

ei99
Occasional Visitor

Re: proliant dl380 g5 - windows OS install on c drive but keep d drive intact?

Thanks Johan, but this doesn't address my question

I need to reinstall windows 2008 server on RAID1 (C drive), replacing current installed same OS, and at the same time make sure to leave RAID5 (D drive) intact as it has all virtual machines that I'm using

I need to make sure that RAID5 will be recognized by the new installation and if I need to do anything for that to happen. I appreciate if you can read my initial post and advise

thanks all