ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

proliant dl380g2- no power with hard drive installed..

mat_20
Occasional Contributor

proliant dl380g2- no power with hard drive installed..

this is strange. system went down over the weekend, and i can't power it up. swapped power supplies, power regulator.. no dice.

We have a spare 380, so i moved over my 6 drives, and that server won't power up with the drives!
finally, plugged in the 4 data drives, and just 1 (bay1) for my OS mirror, and it boots up fine. ?@?@?@. never saw this happen before.

could it be a short in the drive causing this problem? plan on doing more testing (like inserting a new drive to see if the array will rebuild), but it's a production Exchange server, so i can't do it yet.

warranty ran out on june 17th of this year.. of course.

Any ideas or thoughts?
4 REPLIES
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: proliant dl380g2- no power with hard drive installed..

For many years, I saw twice something similar; consider it's extremely rare situation, and count one from thousands. Drive caused: fail to boot till you pull it out, or no Video POST. Normally it should never prevent to POST and log errors. Run Array Diagnostic Utility â examine. If drive still good: try to reset SCSI backplane connections, Controller 5i? Or PCI card? (If PCI reset riser). Reset cache Accelerator. Run firmware Updates. 5i going bad ?
mat_20
Occasional Contributor

.. they are running on the 5i.
it's been decided by management to move all exchange stores off of the box. Once i have a chance to play with it..i will. once we got it working again.. we didn't want to press our luck and make it worse.

will try all that you suggested..

thanks
e4services
Honored Contributor

Yes you are correct. A drive has mechanically failed and is shorting the PS to ground most probably. Replace the drive if you can determine which one. The safer thing is to replace all the drives with more modern ones
Hot Swap Hard Drives
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

I have seen this happen before, if a harddrive fails it sometimes like your case loads the powersupply,you can get it replaced with another one.

Rgds

HGN