1752339 Members
5827 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: proliant gl 380/raid

ted kilroy
Occasional Advisor

proliant gl 380/raid

Can anyone explain to me how a raid 0 or 1 is created? Just installed 2003 standard and I used a smart start cd. I have 1 36.2 HD that was config as 20g for OS and rest for storage.

I am trying to get the second HD to look like the same but only it has OS display 1 HD, I believe that is raid 0. Array 5i drivers are loaded. The only thing I see that might be the problem is that slot0 doesn't function.

So I have HD1 in slot 1 ans HD2 in slot 3. Any help would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Raid 0 is a striped set, basically writing to two drives at the same time (Windows will see this as a single drive). Raid 1 is a mirrored set (sometimes referred to as 0+1 if 4 or more drives are involved). Windows will see this as a single drive also.

The Windows Disk Management utility is oblivious to hardware RAID solutions; if your desire is to create a software-based RAID set you will first need to break the hardware set you have in place.

Creating RAID sets is done by striking F8 when prompted after the SmartArray 5i scans for drives to open the Array Configuration Utility. Keep in mind that deleting any previously configured RAID arrays will delete all data from the drives.

The array controller should have no trouble finding the drives where they currently are.
ted kilroy
Occasional Advisor

I have done this and even let smart start cd help me install win 2003 standard. I partition first scsi drive with a 20g partition for the OS install.

The rest of the 36.4 gets left alone and I format it once I am in disk management. Thing is I am trying to get the other HD to follow suite.

Meaning in disk management should only show me C=20g and e=14+gig. Knowing the 2nd HD is the same. Is this not possible with raid 0?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

The generation 5 and 6 controllers auto configure.
So if you don't do anything, at the first power on.
1 disk it will create a RAID 0
2 disks it will create a RAID 1
3 disks it will create a RAID 5
More disks than that, I don't know how it configures.

When you create a RAID you will end up with 1 or more LUN's (Logical Units). The LUN(s) appear as a physical disk to the Oprating system.

The auto config create only 1 LUN, using the number of disks available.
If you have only 1 controller, it will be set for boot controller.
If you have more than 1 controller, one of them will be set as boot controller, I can't remember the rules.

If you add in disks later, the array controller will do nothing. You will have to configure it manually.

There is 2 parts in a RAID disk.
1. The Array: Here you select wich disks will be used for an array.
2. The LUN: Here you select the size of the LUN(s) and RAID level(s)

You got 2 configuration tools

1. ORCA (Option ROM Configurable Adapter), the simple tool. During POST you hit F8, when prompted by the array controller. It's simple and easy.
Create Array: including use of hot spare disk. Multible arrays, only 1 LUN on each array.
Delete Array: Delete your data, non reverseble.
View Array
Select as boot controller: Only appear if controller isn't set as boot controller.

2. ACU (Array Configuration Utility).
The tool, that enable you to use all of the features of the Smart Array controller.
You can expand, extend exsisting arrays, change RAID level (Migration), mulible LUN's on the array(s), different RAID levels within an array.
You can do everything on-line = Server in production.
If you have installed your server, using Smart Start, the ACU is installed.
It take 2 actions to start ACU.
Start the engine
Start ACU
Both done from: all programs > HP system tools > array configuration utility (Might not be exact)

Accept or Kudo

ted kilroy
Occasional Advisor

Thanks gregersenj, can I ask one last question, about installing. So I went in Orca and set both HD (migrate)to RAID 0, set the striped size etc, now I am at the 4th screen "Server Deployment" and there is a reference about SmartStart detecting a non-bootable shared storage.

What is this? I have only 2 choices; Erase all drives including non-bootable shared storage or Erase all drives except non-bootable shared storage.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Now You are confusing me. And I do hope you havn't got yourself into trouble.

I wasn't aware that it's possible to do a migration from the ORCA.
I did believe it was possible from the ACU only.

Migration is normally no problem.

Can you please tell what you want to do?
As I understand:
You have got 1 disk, and you want to put in another disk, and create a mirror = RAID 1.
Yes HP does call it 0+1, no matter.

If that's what you want, then I Woould recommend using the ACU.
Server should be running.
1. Hot add disk.
2. open ACU.
3. Expand array, press save.
4. Wait till the next day.
5. Migrate RAID level, from 0 to 0+1
6. next day it will be finished.

I am afraid, You have been trying to create a new array, using the disk that is allready
in use and installed. If you do that I am afraid you might have deletet your installation.

Accept or Kudo

ted kilroy
Occasional Advisor

Actually only interested in RAID 0, I am trying to mimic another Proliant that has 2 36.4 HD's and in device manager/disk management it shows a c drive that has 2 partitions (c=primary and e=extended for storage).

Though I can see in device manager, scsi controller/properties that 2 HD's are listed.
Every time I use smart start and go through the process I end up with c=20g and e=14.xg and basic disk 1 as unformated 36.4g. which is not the same as other server.

I must be missing something before OS is installed?

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Ok. So you want to install a server, with 2 hard drives, each 36 GB. And you want to create one 72 GB disk (RAID 0, no redundency).

As a wrote. The Smart Array controller auto configure a RAID 1 (Mirror) when you got 2 unconfigured drives.

There is 2 ways to configure it as you want.
1. The ORCA. Hit F8 when prompted.
2. Select Create array.
3. Select Both hard drives.
4. Selecet RAID 0
5. Boot on Smart Start and install your server.

Or You can use ACU, from the Smart Start CD.
1. When the Smart Array Controller pormpts you to Hit F8 or ESC, Hit ESC, this will abort the auto configuration.
2. Boot from the smart start CD.
3. Select the Maintenance Tab (I'm not 100% sure if it call maintenance, so look for something like that)
4. Start the ACU.
5. Create a RAID 0.
6. Continue Installation from Smart Start.

In Your case, it seems lik you have got it auto configured.
If so, you must delete the RAID. The fastet way is to use the ORCA.

If you miss a boot controller, simpy check the first screen on the ORCA.
If you got a fourth line: Select as boot Controller, then select that line and hit enter. Follow any on-screen instrauction. And the fourth line will disappear, wich means the controller is now boot controller.

Normally if you got, one controller only, it will be selected automaticly.
Iy's possible to have serveral Controllers in a server, then you may have to choose manually. Each controller then will prompt you to hit F8.

The most importen remember is: If you have got an unconfigured Smart Array, Genration 5 or 6, it will auto config., according to the rules I wrote.

The RAID will be avaiable instantly, after it has been configured.
During Smart Start you will be asked to select the size of your C-drive. I'm not sure at what point, but take your time, nothing will time out. Except for the first time autoconfigure.

In case you don't know: Beware with RAID 0, you have got no redundacy, wich mean if one drive fail, you must re-install/Restore from backup.

Just ask all the questions you need.

Cheers
/jag

Accept or Kudo

ted kilroy
Occasional Advisor

Yes your right, I think its best to stick with RAID 1 for redundacy. Since this is a backup of another proliant redundacy sounds better in the event.

So let me get this straight now for a RAID 1 install which the proliant will see if I have to recognized 36.4 scsi HDs'.

Install HD's
Install Smart Start Cd
Enter ORCA and or ACU
Install OS
ted kilroy
Occasional Advisor

Got it, in the properties of the 5i scsi controller (device mgr) I chose tools and started ACU, show 2 physical drives and in desk mgr I see only c partitioned as c=20 and e=14+, just like I wanted it.

Off the wall, any idea why slot 0 HD led light would not come on? I think I read that happens on some HDs'.

Other than that thanks for all your time and help.