108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: q57nd60x.sys & Symantec Backup Exec for Windows 12.5 error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Davidson
Occasional Advisor

q57nd60x.sys & Symantec Backup Exec for Windows 12.5 error

Backups on 2 x ProLiant ML350 G6 servers running windows server 2008 and Backup Exec 12.5 are reporting backups as completed with exceptions. When I check the job log the error is "VSS Snapshot warning. File C:\windows\system32\drivers\q57nd60x.sys is not present on the snapshot". I have checked Symantec's knowledge base and they suggest contacting the vendor to get details on removing the software correctly.

I have checked and the file does not exist in the directory. I have searched the registry and there are references to this file in it. On 1 of the servers I tried removing the references in the registry but it made no difference.

I have another ProLiant ML350 G5 with windows server 2008 and Backup Exec 12.5 and it is working without any problem. The only difference would seem to be the PSP installed. The one that is working ok is running 8.25A and the 2 with the issue - 1 is running 8.30 and the other 8.40.

How can I resolve this error? Why is there a reference left in the registry to the q57nd60x.sys file when it does not exist in that location?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give in resolving this issue.

Peter

10 REPLIES 10
Brian Noronha
Occasional Advisor

The q57nd60x.sys is part of the NIC driver that is used for NIC teaming.
So if NIC teaming is not enabled for the server you can try uninstalling it.
For the Local Area Connection properties uninstall 'Compaq Network Teaming and Configuration Protocol'.

A reboot is required after uninstall.

This solution has not been tested yet, so please take a full backup before implementing it.
Peter Davidson
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for reply.

As the servers are in production environment I have replicated the issue on a test server of same spec. with same software, etc. to test the possible solution given.

I ran a test backup and it was getting the same error. I then removed "HP Network Configuration Utility" (there was no 'Compaq Network Teaming and Configuration Protocol' listed) and rebooted the server and re-ran the test backup and now there another 2 files being reported with same error C:\windows\inf\oem15.inf and c:\windows\inf\oem16.inf.

Peter
Brian Noronha
Occasional Advisor

Hi Peter,

The ML350 G6 server ships with onboard NIC NC326i which does not have q57nd60x.sys as one of the driver files.

As a workaround we might need to force install a driver for another NIC to get round this issue.

Please let me know the exact version of the operating system and also if any additional NIC's are installed in the server.
Brian Noronha
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi Peter,

This should work.

1. Re-install the HP Network Configuration Utility that was uninstalled earlier.

2. Download and force install the driver from the link http://download.cnet.com/cp007810-exe/3000-2112_4-175053.html

This is an old driver for the following NIC's.

* HP NC1020 Gigabit Server Adapter 32 PCI
* HP NC105T PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC105i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC150T PCI 4-Port Gigabit Combo Switch Adapter
* HP NC320i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC320m PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC324i PCIe Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC325i PCIe Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC326i PCIe Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC326m PCIe Dual Port Adapter
* HP NC325m PCIe Quad Port Adapter
* HP NC320T PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC6770 Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC7760 Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC7761 Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC7770 Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC7771 Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC7772 Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC7780 Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC7781 Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC7782 Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC7783 Gigabit Server Adapter

Even though this NIC is not on the server installing the driver should do no harm.

It contains the q57nd60x.sys file.
Peter Davidson
Occasional Advisor

Finally found time to test and it works. Installing cp007810.exe does install the q57nd60x.sys file into c:\windows\system32\drivers and therefore the backup completes successfully with no warnings.

Is this seen as a temp. workaround until something else is fixed or it deemed as the only solution? Should I be installing cp007810.exe on all our ML350 G6 servers or will there be an alternative fix issued where a cleanup of registry will be done?

Thanks

Peter
Brian Noronha
Occasional Advisor

Peter,

It would help a great deal if you can let us know what are these references / keys in the registry that point to q57nd60x.sys file.
Peter Davidson
Occasional Advisor

When I search the registry for q57nd60x.sys the following are the two keys that are found.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\Version Control\HPRevisionManagement\q57nd60x.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLockdownFiles dword C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\q57nd60x.sys

I have deleted these from the registry on one of the servers and it still has the issue with the backup.

I searched the C: drive for files containing q57nd60x.sys and the output of the search is attached.

Peter
Brian Noronha
Occasional Advisor

Peter,

We will let the engineering team know about this. Chances are .... it will be fixed in the next PSP version.

As a workaround for now, you can install the driver on all the servers facing this issue.

Thanks

Peter Davidson
Occasional Advisor

Ok thanks for your help.

Peter