1753940 Members
9514 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: qq about drive bays on DL360 G7 server

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

qq about drive bays on DL360 G7 server

Our DL360 G7 has 4 slots that can be filled with hard drives, two are in use, the other four don’t have the removable plastic things whicn indicate a drive can be installed. The other four drive bays have a different covering on them, does this mean the other four drive bays cannot have hard drives installed into them??

Or does it mean we'd have to buy something to make use of those other four drive bays??

Thank you, Tom

7 REPLIES 7
LouisH
Valued Contributor

You will need to purchase an additional upgrade kit to fully support 8 drives.

From Quickspecs:

Diskette Drive None Optical Drive
One of the following depending on Model Optional: DVD-ROM, DVD-RW
NOTE: This option available on 4 drive bay models only. Optional HP External USB CD/DVD R/RW for 8 drive models Hard Drives None Standard Drive Bays 4 SFF Bays standard with option for up to 8 SFF drive bays total. NOTE: 4 bays standard in Entry, Base and CTO models, with optional upgrade to 8 bays with the SFF HD Backplane Kit (516966-B21). No CD or DVD options available when server is configured with 8 drive bays.
NOTE:This option available for 8 drive models. HP External USB CD/DVD R/RW Drive available for 8 drive systems (must be ordered separately).

By using this, you will give up your DVD/CD drive. But server supports USB attached DVD/CD external drive.

Regards,

Louis

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

The CD-ROM etc. is not what I am asking about.

The DL360 G7 has eight drive bays.

Four are obviously usable because two disk drives are already installed and two bays have the plastic thing that one removes to slide in a new hard drive container.

The *other* four bays only have a black plastic 'covering' which looks like several lines across and are not removable, no 'removable' plastic disk drive placeholders.

These are the bays I am asking about...can they be used or not?? Or does this mean they are just empty space into which no disk drive can be put??

BTW the DL360 already HAS a CD-ROM installed.

Thank you, Tom

LouisH
Valued Contributor

You will remove the CD drive and plastic from the front of the server. Then install the option kit indicated in excerpt from the server Quickspecs. This kit will come with all cables, slots, etc you will need.

Regards,

Louis

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...!!!!

NOW I understand.

I apologize for not reading carefully enough.

Thank you for your patience. :) :)

Tom

LouisH
Valued Contributor

The answer to your question is...there is NO slots behind the plastic panel until you install the expansion kit.

R,

Louis

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Yes, I understand that now...I had only read about the cd/dvd and missed the kit part.

We can live without the cd/dvd since it has ILO.

Thank you again, Tom

LouisH
Valued Contributor

No problem...you were typing when I was replying...lol