108788 Solutions
New Discussion

"Manage Drives" does not appear in Smart Storage Administrator

SOLVED
Go to solution
IslandBoy
Occasional Advisor

"Manage Drives" does not appear in Smart Storage Administrator

I've got a ProLiant DL 180 Gen 10 server running Windows Server 2019 Standard. I've got two RAID arrays, with Array A for the operating system and Array B for data.  Array B currently consists of three 960GB SATA 512e SSD drives.  I've purchased three identical drives (identical model number, etc.) to expand the array.  I go into Smart Storage Administrator (3.40.3.0), navigate to configure, select "Logical Drives"  and then select "Array B - 1 logical Drive(s)."   Under actions, I know I'm supposed to have a "manage drives" option.  I don't.  My only options are to "Manage Spare Drives"; "Delete Array"; "Disable HPE SSD Smart Path"; and "Identify Device."

The three new drives show up under "Unassigned Drives".  I was able to add them as spares under "Manage Spare Drives" as a test to make sure that they were being fully recognized.  But I cannot get to "Manage Drives" so that I can expand the array. 

Only difference I can spot between the existing drives in Array B and the new ones is that the existing drives are using firmware version HPG2 and the new ones came with firmware version HPG4.  Could that be the problem?  Any other ideas?  TYIA.

14 REPLIES 14
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Re: "Manage Drives" does not appear in Smart Storage Administrator

What the type of RAID?

Which array you want to expand?

I Haq
IslandBoy
Occasional Advisor

I want to expand Array B, which is a Raid 5 array. 

[I did check Array A, which is a RAID 1 array consisting of two SSD drives to see if the Manage Drives option was there and it was not there, either.]

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Run SSA, select the array (see sample picture) and click manage data drives, then you can add an available disk

SSA.jpg

I Haq
IslandBoy
Occasional Advisor

That's what I've been doing.  It doesn't give me the "manage drives" option.   (I'm new to the Community and from reading the FAQ understand that it will be a couple of days with repeated logins before I can post a screenshot.)

IslandBoy
Occasional Advisor

And to further clarify, none of the options shown in your screen shot that appear above "Manage Spare Drives" are shown as options for me. 

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Is manage data drives option availale or not?

1. Update firmware RAID controler
2. Install the latest version of SSA for Windows
3. Ensure that you are starting the latest version of SSA cause the old version is staying. (or uninstall the old version before)
4. Enjoy expanding your RAID5

I Haq
IslandBoy
Occasional Advisor

No, it is not. That's the entire problem. It is not an option.

Andy Simpson
340-719-3900 (o)
340-514-6073 (c)
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

1. Update firmware RAID controler
2. Install the latest version of SSA for Windows
3. Ensure that you are starting the latest version of SSA cause the old version is staying. (or uninstall the old version before)
4. Enjoy expanding your RAID5

I Haq
IslandBoy
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. I'll give those a try and report back. (Going to take some time.)