108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Non-System disk or disk error. replace and strike any key when ready"

SOLVED
Go to solution
timeiu79
Occasional Contributor

"Non-System disk or disk error. replace and strike any key when ready"

One of our DL580 G2 Servers started displaying this error last night. It was working fine until then, but now will not boot. It has 2 72.8GB HD's mirrored. The server was on, but no HD lights were on for both drives. I pulled one of the drives and re-seated it, and now the top arrow light is solid, but no other lights on either drive. Inside the server I do not see any amber diagnostic lights. Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,
Do you have any USB device connected to the server ? Check Boot controller Order & boot order.

Regards.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Check during POST if you can see the Smart Array 5i message, and if after that it dectects the disks and a logical drive.
If the disks do not have the central LED on, that means that they cannot communicate with the Smart Array.
Booting with the SmartStart CD will let you see what ir detects from ACU and run a diagnosis.
timeiu79
Occasional Contributor

No USB devices attached.

Boot Controller Order:
1. PCI Embedded Raid Mass storage controller
2. Compaq integrated PCI IDE Controller

Boot order:
1. CD
2. Floppy
3. Hard disk
4. NIC
timeiu79
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I booted with Smartstart, and ran ACU. I'm getting the an error saying there are no supported controllers found on the system.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Which controller are u using ? Is there a BBWC connected ? If so Take it off, wait 5 mins & reboot. Also, If its a PCI Controller ... You may try reseating it.

Regards.
timeiu79
Occasional Contributor

Which controller are u using ? Is there a BBWC connected ? If so Take it off, wait 5 mins & reboot. Also, If its a PCI Controller ... You may try reseating it.

Regards.

It's using the 1st controller, I believe. I disconnected the BBWC and reseated it. Are you saying to remove the BBWC and reboot it without it connected at all?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Just what I suspected, SmartArray "kaput". In this model it's integrated on system board. Contact HP technical support to request a motherboard replacement.
timeiu79
Occasional Contributor

Contacted HP support and determined it was in fact the controller, which is integrated :( So, I ordered a PCI controller for $270 rather than getting a new system board for around $1200. Thanks everybody for your help.
MMAli

Was there any data loss ?

I am facing same issue with one of my DL380 G7 server. If i change the conroller will there be data loss ?