1752661 Members
6011 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"Non-System disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready"

ougli
Occasional Contributor

"Non-System disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready"

I've got two ProLiant DL380p Gen8 and a HP host bus adapter, SAS 1 and SAS 2 connected to each server.
I create a bootable USB for ESXI and run it, install it and try to reboot into the installed drives.

Thereafter both servers attempt to boot from hard drive and a message says "Non-System disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready".

Before running the ESXI install I went into intelligence provisioning and erased disk, afterwards I went into ROM settings and restored settings to default and erased disks for each server. Weirdly the ESXI USB still detected a VMFS partition on those disks from a previous attempt I made.

I'm not as familiar with server setups as with regular computers, but I've read a similar thread that suggested the boot error was because of a smartarray failure. I asked a colleague about it, and he said simply boot from HBA (SAN).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated regarding the boot issue and if there is a better way to format the disks too.

edit; Is it necessary to have a smartarray or could you simply just boot from HBA?
https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/quot-Non-System-disk-or-disk-error-replace-and-strike-any-key/td-p/4104251

3 REPLIES 3
Bunsol
HPE Pro

Re: "Non-System disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready"

Hi,

If there is a controller failure then you can login to Smart storage administrator and diagnose to check if issues with controller. We recommend that the drives and controller have the updated firmware. Please check if you are installing this from intelligent provisioning or manually.  If the partition still shows up then have you tried deleting the partion from the same window.  If issue still persists then please log a support ticket with us.

Regards,

Bunsol

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
ougli
Occasional Contributor

It says no controller detected in intelligent provisioning.
https://imgur.com/a/jnTLqu2

So I need to run the Smart Start CD and reinstall/fix the controller?

ougli
Occasional Contributor

I booted a HP Smart Start USB just now but the embedded array controller has no logical drives. All the drives are on the host bus adapter and SAS 1 and SAS 2 are connected to each server, the host bus adapter drives are detected but cannot be booted into, for some strange reason.

So, what will I need to do to be able to boot into a drive that has ESXI installed on it? Why am I getting the "Non-System disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready" error message?