1752679 Members
5810 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"Permanent" 56k connection

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

"Permanent" 56k connection

I have a customer for whom I am considering installing a NeoServer. They are in a regional area that makes it impractical to use ADSL or even ISDN connection. Their existing 56k connection can be made to be "permanent" with their ISP for a fee. I would like to do this, register a domain name for the company and use the NeoServer to host their email. Is this possible or is full-time email hosting only available with the high-speed ethernet connection to the Neoserver?

Cheers
Dave
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: "Permanent" 56k connection

Should be simple. Get the ISP to host the domain name. Have them setup email accounts assigned to that name. eg. usera@yourcompany.com, userb@yourcompany.com. (They should also be able to host your web site for you at a fee).

You then configure the neoserver to get emails from their mail server. eg, config user a's email clinet to pull emails from mail.yourisp.com, using teh username defined.

This is exactly what I'm doing and it works well.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You are correct. Since the local ISP is hosting the domain name, the email accounts that run from that domain must be on the ISP mail server not on the NeoServer. Configure the Neoserver to get the mail from the ISP mail server.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have two questions related to above:
1. Is it possible to have the NeoServer collect all mail for a domain and then allow network users to pop it off the Neoserver?
2. Can the Neoserver be used to relay mail from an MS Exchange server?