New Discussion юеВ

Re: raid 1 IN WIN2003 ON SERVER ML150 G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

There is ONE other way, but very complicated;
Wrong step will result in REPEATED blue screens, leaving no other option but to reinstall completely;

Refer my posts at:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1128699

Regards,
James.
RufusG
Frequent Advisor

I installed a hardware RAID Controller and added 2 extra SATA disks to create a RAID-1 store that is fail-safe. ( Today I would use the Promise TX2300 at about $70 ).

I only put the Operating System on to the original single disk.

I only put Data on to the RAID drive.

There are 4 advantages to this:

1. The hardware RAID drive starts the moment the power is on and is virtually independent of the rest of the computer. It has excellent RAID Array Manager software.

2. You could move the RAID disks and Controller card to another computer in minutes

3. The Windows Swap File and the Data are on 2 separate drives, so the overall system performance is improved.

4. You can rebuild and upgrade the Operating System or re-format the original single disk without disturbing your Data.

I keep working Data on my workstation and I have a backup utility to copy complete files and folders over to the RAID-1 drive on the server as they change.

- Belt & Braces
- LOCKS ( Lots of Copies Keep Safe )

This way I am storing personal Data and family photographs going back to 1984.

Not a very expensive solution and it is very very effective.

Hope that this helps you

James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Any updates yet ?

Regards,
James.
DINARAS
Occasional Advisor

Hello James,

I think i will try the solution with the blue screens, if this doesnt work and will have to reformat then i will install win2003, will set up raid from dos and i will not installa any drivers. I believe its the chipset drivers that ruin everything.

I will only install drivers for the devices that dont have any. All the rest i will leave with win2003 default driver.

What do you think?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Sounds good to me !

:)
DINARAS
Occasional Advisor

Finally i got it solved.

This is what i did:

I installed windows and pressed f6 in the beggining and i add the adaptec sriver

I finish installation
I install IPMI driver and vga driver (vga driver is awfull 1024X768 at 16 bit depth)

And DO NOT INSTALL ANY OTHER DRIVER. It is the sata friver i doenloaded in previews setup that spoiled everything

Now i see only 1 hard disk drive in Windows explorer

Thank you James for your help

BEST REGARDS
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hey! Thats great to know !

Could you please post the Adaptec driver's link here, so that it may be useful for others as well !!

KUDOS !