1753254 Members
4869 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

raid -5 volume with 6 HDD in DL 380G5

Oscar alvarez_1

raid -5 volume with 6 HDD in DL 380G5

Hello there
I was wondering if is possible to create a volume array with 6 disks , bearing in mind that the DL 380 G5 has 8 disk bays divided in two cages with a raid P 400 controller , so one channel goes to one cage and the second one to the other , the question is as in the subject: can I make an array of 2 hdd for OS so we cover 2 slots of the cage; so the other array is in the other 6 slots , so 2 of them are in one cage wich is connectect to a one channel of the controller and the other four are in the other cage wich is connected to the other channel in the other 4 slots cage,
so can we do that ? One volume array (2hdd)for OS and other volume array (6hdd) with the hdd splitted into two cages(4+2) with differnt controller channel although the controller is the same
2 REPLIES 2
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Re: raid -5 volume with 6 HDD in DL 380G5

Hello Oscar,

That would work.
The P400 controller has 8 SAS physical links distributed across 2 internal x4 wide port connectors and you can use both of them. Each one of the port can connect 4 hdds (in a single cage) and you can create an array from a set of hdds located in both the cages.

Thanks !!!
I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.
Oscar alvarez_1

Re: raid -5 volume with 6 HDD in DL 380G5

Many thanks ,