1748165 Members
3834 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

raid controller PL6500

Jason Cook
Advisor

raid controller PL6500

Ok, now that i have my network issue resolved i would like to talk raid controllers. My PL6500 has a SA3200 array controller. I have seven 18.4 GB 10K U160 drives in the hot swap cage. The SA3200 controller is only Ultra2 scsi. Possible to upgrade this controller to a U160 or Ultra3 ? If so what controllers should i be looking for, and would it be worth the upgrade ?

Thanks !!

Jason.
7 REPLIES 7
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Re: raid controller PL6500

The best you could go unto is an Ultra3 controller - the SA5300 which is a universal PCI card and should work on that server
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
e4services
Honored Contributor

We use the Adaptec line. We have tested the newest U320 in older Netservers with older PCI and it works fine.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Jason Cook
Advisor

Anyone else info on some different U160 cards that might work? I sure am finding that the adeptec line are easier to track down and much less expensive. However i don't want to run into compatability issues changing out this card. Prefer not to have to lose my array configuration as well.

Thanks!

Jason.
Jason Cook
Advisor

Can anyone advise of specific models of raid controllers i should be looking for? I don't mind using adeptec or any other make if i can be sure they will work as the primary boot controller in my proliant 6500. Thanks for any help.

Jason.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

How did we resolve the issu of network, what was wrong at that time.

Where as for controller there is good refernce site might help you.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/documentation.html

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Jason Cook
Advisor

The problem was irq conflicting with the remote insight card. I removed the remote insight card and all the network problems vanished. It's now working beautifully. Thank you for the link to info about the raid controller, i will have a look and see what i can see.

Much appreciated,

Jason.
Jason Cook
Advisor

Ah, i know for sure that i can use the SA5300 and it will do exactly what i want. What i am trying to get at is that i would like to find a card i can get for a little less money. I've been told that i can use adaptec cards. Do you know if there are any specific adaptec or other brand of cards that will work well as the primary boot controller in my proliant 6500? I don't really have the money to spend on a SA5300 right now, although it is a very nice controller.

Jason.