raid sas with ml310G4

SOLVED
Go to solution
antoine clair
Occasional Advisor

raid sas with ml310G4

Hello,
My problem :
I have 2 SAS disk HP 146 GB that ive racked and connected to the SAS controller.
At the boot, the 2 disks are detected.
In the standard boot order i have after cdrom, floppy, usb :
"hard drive c: (see boot controller order)"
In the boot controller order i have first : "pci slot 2 hp 8 internal port sas hba with raid".
When i use smartstart, it doesnt detect any disk. idem when i boot with win 2003 server cd.
Do i have anything to change in the bios?
sorry im not a professionnal, could anybody help me? thank you...
14 REPLIES 14
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: raid sas with ml310G4

hi

SAS Models: HP 8 Internal Port SAS HBA with RAID 0,1 in a PCI-X slot

it not supported by Smartstart CD, Smartstart only supports smart array controller (5i, 6i, p400, e200, ...)

you need to deploy the server manually
including the driver for W2003

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27550.html

or use nlite

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

you first need to configure the raid level and install windows

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=459045&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=c01158965

regards
antoine clair
Occasional Advisor

thank you very much !
In the logic config utility, i have the choice for the second disk between raid or hotspare. I though but maybe i was wrong that hotspare disk was used to take the relay if one of the two disk of the raid become defective. apparently its not the case because i can choose the second disk as a spare disk and it's not necessary to have 3 disk to select one of them as a spare disk.
I just want to have a raid 1 with two disk having the same data in order to boot on the other disk if the first fails. What do i have to choose? Sorry for my english...
Thank you.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

As far as I can see, you have 2 hard drives installed. Using two hard drives you can configure a mirror. For a hot-spare you will need an additional drive (third drive).

So, you configure RAID 1 with 2 drives, then set the third drive as the hot-spare. In this case, and drive that fails will be mirrored on the hot-spare from 1 working drive.

With only two drives you can make the the 2nd drive as a hot-spare, but since you can't create a fault tolerant array with 1 drive, you will not have any use for the hot-spare even if you assign it as hot-spare.

Hope this helps.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi
yes adric is correct if you have 2 HDD choose RAID one, in case you get an additional HDD assign it as hot spare.

regards
antoine clair
Occasional Advisor

thank you guys.
But now i have to install drivers for this sas raid by pressing f6 during the install of windows 2003 server, and by pressing S to add a device : it's asked to me to insert a diskette. The problem is that there's no floppy disk on this server. Are there any alternative solutions by using a usb key or a cd?
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

You can use the HP USB Floppy Drive Key.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/drives-enclosures/usb-floppy-drive-key/index.html

As per the quickspecs, you can also use 379257-B21 - 1.44MB Diskette Drive Option Kit.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12570_na/12570_na.html
antoine clair
Occasional Advisor

Hello,
The driver has been installed with a usb floppy and the installation of windows 2003 server was successful but now i cant see the raid 1 in the disk utility of windows (only one disk is detected with his partitions).
The HP array utility doesnt detect any controler but maybe it's because it's not compatible with SAS controller.
In the device console of windows :
- one controller : LSI adapters, SAS 3000 series 8 port with 1068-storport.
- One disk : LSILogic logical volume scsi device.
How to know if the raid 1 ive configured in the lsi utility (by pressing f8 at the boot) is working?
Thank you !
antoine clair
Occasional Advisor

did i have to press two times the S key one more time to add the secon sas disk ? if it's the case, is it possible to do it from windows?